FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any experience with the Miller Arrow 25 for the EX3 ?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ofer Levy
Any experience with the Miller Arrow 25 for the EX3 ?
on Aug 12, 2008 at 8:34:25 am

I consider getting the Miller Arrow 25 fluid head to use with my Sony PMW EX3 as I use very long telephoto lenses.

Does anyone have an experience with this fluid head ? It goes for 2600$ or so - any other fluid heads I should consider in this price range ?

Thanks in advance !

Ofer Levy
Sydney
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
Re: Any experience with the Miller Arrow 25 for the EX3 ?
on Aug 12, 2008 at 9:26:08 am

I have trialled the Arrow 25 with Solo 1505 legs using a fully laden EX1 (camera, 1kg WA adapter, matte box, mic) and found it a very nice combination and smooth at long focal lengths. If I get the EX3, this is the support system I'll use. The Arrow 25 was very smooth and allowed precise control at the long end of the lens. Currently I have the DS20 and although it's a good head it doesn't always hold for telephoto work.

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Aug 15, 2008 at 7:17:32 am

I ordered a Solo DV + DS20 for my EX3 & 17x Fujinon lens.

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Aug 15, 2008 at 11:25:50 pm

I'd be interested to hear the the Solo/DS20 works with the EX3 and a 17x Fujinon. My instinct is that it would be too light, especially when the camera is fully loaded. Or you might have younger, stronger, steadier hands than me...

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Aug 16, 2008 at 2:59:15 am

Oh yes Derek, I am younger & stronger & steadier than you, provided you are 49 1/2 years or older and not more of a gym junkie than me!!!!!!!

Seriously and back on track, the DS20 is a 20lbs/9kgs capacity head for obtaining unaided camera balance. The camera without lens is 4lb 2oz or 1.87kgs & lens with hood is 3.4lbs or 1.53kgs.

Add the weight of the BP-U60 of 15oz or 350g.

This totals 3.75kgs or 8.25lbs. Add a little more for the tripod base plate, SXS cards, ECM-673 mic & Rycote Softie. Maybe half weight/capacity ratio. To me that seems to be a nice ratio, which allows for other bits & pieces to be added without too much compromise. Exciting items such as Convergent design's lightweight super duper nanoFlash, a Vocas MB350 Mattebox, filters, rails, radio mic receiver & even DVTEC's DVMultiRigProHD shoulder rig & V-Lock battery!!!! Hey, let's even add a nice little on camera light for added Wowness!!! Cover all of this up with a (see through) rain cover & presto, you have a.....Ummmm, well you have some nice stuff anyway!!!

Sure, all this may tip the scales just a little but I have seen a XDCAM 330 on a DS20 operate in a reasonable manner many times.

I think it should be OK, even in the basic configuration. I have a CF SoloDV/DS10 for my HVR-V1P camera and it is so easy & quick to setup the tripod & get the camera on quickly.

By the way, the list above is a list of items I will have within the next few months. I'm very excited!!!!
Don't know what to do with it but I'm still excited.

Best wishes
David Issko

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:04:45 am

Hi David, all points noted and I don't disagree with any of your summary. For a while I was using the Sony Z1 on a DS10 with Miller 3-stage alloy tripod - it was a pretty good match.

My present DS20 on the Miller Solo 1501 2-stage also works well, there's no question that the head has plenty of capacity to handle the camera. I particularly like the light weight of this systems which makes it very easy for an OPC to shift set-ups even leaving the camera on the tripod. Yes, it's a quick, easy set-up and the Solo legs get better the more you use them. For example I've found them much easier to set up than traditional legs and spreader for use in a vehicle and have been able to shoot on the Solo legs looking forward through the windscreen, through a sunroof, and out the tailgate of an SUV, all very successfully.

My only point of difference is that over the years I've always found I can more easily manage precise moves at long focal lengths when the tripod and head are up-sized and slightly exceed the standard technical match. (Like I say, might just be my arms aren't steady enough.) Of course it's a personal preference, not a technical necessity, but I like the feel and assurance of a sturdy support system.

For now, thinking ahead to the EX3/interchangeable lenses, my choice would be the 3-stage CF Solo 1505 with the Arrow 25. This is about twice the price of the DS20/Solo 1501, and nearly 1.85kg heavier but still comfortable portable in the field.
I should add there are other features that appeal to me, like the illuminated level and versatility of the 100mm bowl. (There's a 75mm downconverter for the 100mm bowl).
But I like the look of your list and I'd be excited too.
Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]