FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Transfer importing slowly

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Maynard
XDCAM Transfer importing slowly
on Aug 10, 2008 at 9:40:53 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to import clips using XDCAM Transfer and it is taking roughly 5 times longer than real time. About 15 minutes for a 3 minute clip. I am running Ver. 2.7 on OS X 10.5.4. All other updates are current. I am using:
Mac Pro
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB 667MHz DDR2
I am importing straight from my Sony EX-1 instead of using a S x S card reader.
Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help!

Craig Maynard

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XDCAM Transfer importing slowly
on Aug 11, 2008 at 12:55:32 am

[Craig Maynard] "Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help!"

USB transfer from your camera should be about 1.5 times faster than real time. Sometimes it's even a little better than that.

Since you didn't say what kind of hard drive you're transferring to it's kind of difficult to figure out where in the workflow path the slow down is occurring. Your other post in the Final Cut Pro forum is about your program/computer crashing when you scrub the timeline. This suggests to me that there's an issue somewhere with your hard drive(s) not passing the information in and out fast enough.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Maynard
on Aug 11, 2008 at 2:15:29 am

Thanks for the reply Don.
Regarding the XDCAM Transfer, I am using a Seagate SATA 1 TB drive with 3 Gb/s at 7200 RPM. I uninstalled the XDCAM Transfer program and reinstalled and I am getting a capture rate around around where you say about 1.5 x faster.
Regarding my other post is another story. After a lot of research and different experiments I have come to the conclusion that it is Motion files that are the culprit. None of my other projects have crashed, only the one that has the Motion files. I did however uncover a problem with my main hard drive where all my applications reside. I ran Tech Tool and eventually ran the OS install disk to repair the drive. Somebody on another forum suggested a workaround that worked for him. So I am in the process of converting all my Motion files into .Mov files and then I will try to redo my sequence with these files. Hopefully this will provide a workaround until I can go get After Effects. Although I am fairly new to this business it seems to me that if Apple is going to package Motion in their suite it should work seamlessly. I know that there are many variables in effect here and I give props to the gurus such as yourself who take the time to help all of us in need.
Thanks again,
Craig Maynard

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 11, 2008 at 4:09:32 pm

[Craig Maynard] "Although I am fairly new to this business it seems to me that if Apple is going to package Motion in their suite it should work seamlessly."

I find it much easier to export a self contained QT movie from Motion and import that into FCP rather than doing the round tripping thing. I don't have an issue doing any round tripping between FCP and Motion, or for that matter, any of the pro apps and FCP. I choose the above method just because that's how I like to work.

- Don

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Aug 12, 2008 at 4:06:18 pm

Are you getting a spinning beach when you try to play a motion file in FCP? I was having that problem and when I upgraded to all the most recent updates the problem went away.

Dajen Productions
Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 2.8 Octo - AJA Kona LHe
Huge 1.2 Raid
FCP 6.0.2-OS X 10.5.2-QT 7.4

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 12, 2008 at 6:12:10 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure who you're asking, but my response is no, I don't have a Motion issue within FCP. The versions of FCP/Motion that was giving you trouble may well have been more recent that what I'm using at the moment, which is FCP 6.02 QT 7.3.1 and OS 10.4.11. There were certain bugs in recent updates that now seem to be resolved for most users.

For me it's a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Maynard
on Aug 14, 2008 at 6:19:01 am

Hi Dave,

I was getting the spinning beach ball of doom. I have also updated everything. I am pretty much out of ideas. I think that I am going to start using After Effects and avoid the problem altogether. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, repaired permissions, repaired disks, etc... Too many hours have been wasted being unproductive. Thanks for the reply.

Craig

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Aug 15, 2008 at 3:49:57 am

Sorry that the current updates didn't solve your problem. Question, did you update to 10.5 or clean install to 10.5?

Dajen Productions
Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 2.8 Octo - AJA Kona LHe
Huge 1.2 Raid
FCP 6.0.2-OS X 10.5.2-QT 7.4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]