FORUMS: list search recent posts

questions about going HD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Grauert
questions about going HD
on Aug 9, 2008 at 6:23:30 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be signing a contract to edit 12 or 13 episodes of TV show for a university between December 08 to about March 09. During this time, I'm going to make a decent amount of money and I am highly considering making the transition to HD. I have a few questions though:

I'm looking into purchasing either the EX1, the EX3 or the F335 (I'm still trying to decide which will cover my needs best without overkill.) My first question is: Do you guys think XDCam HD will still be a widely used codec in a few years or is there a chance it will become obsolete? I understand it doesn't matter if I'M editing as long as my computer can handle it, but I don't want to drop thousands of dollars on a camera and 2 years from now production houses move to a "better" codec.

Also, for those who have experience with this codec: How efficient is this codec with FCP. I've heard HDV is buggy, which is why I'm not really considering it, but how has XDCam HD worked for you guys so far?

Also, I'd appreciate any advice on which of those 3 cameras to get. I realize it's a totally subjective question, but I like to know the opinions of those who have experience. For instance, how does the image quality compare between the EX1/3 and the F335. I've also read about artifacts and pros and cons between CMOS and CCD. Has anyone had any bad experiences with CMOS sensors?

Thanks for any advice!

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: questions about going HD
on Aug 10, 2008 at 5:02:25 am

[Rob Grauert] " HDV is buggy"
The problem of HDV is that the Data Rate (25Mbps), is quite limited. Is the same than DV.
The extra 10Mbps of the XDCAM makes a HUGE difference.

[Rob Grauert] "I've also read about artifacts and pros and cons between CMOS and CCD. Has anyone had any bad experiences with CMOS sensors?"
If you will shoot music videos, i won't recommend you a CMOS camera. For any other purpose they works great.

[Rob Grauert] "My first question is: Do you guys think XDCam HD will still be a widely used codec in a few years or is there a chance it will become obsolete?"
This is something that we will have to live with. All the formats and supports will became obsolete soon or later. But you will need only the codec t make it works in FC. Think about all the stuff recorded in Betacam or 1"C. They will need the proper VTR to play them. To keep the codecs will be easier (and cheaper) than to keep those machines working.

[Rob Grauert] "I don't want to drop thousands of dollars on a camera and 2 years from now production houses move to a "better" codec."
Sure in less than two years will be something better, but you can not be forever waiting for the "total" format. Will never happens.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: questions about going HD
on Aug 10, 2008 at 7:25:18 pm

There are a number of threads on this forum discussing the downside of CMOS. You just have to know what situations can present a problem.

The EX-1 is great.

The EX-3 has Time Code in and out and an interchangable lens. If you'll never change the lens and you're not linking two cameras together to match time code, the EX-1 will suffice. I would buy an EX-3 if I could buy it without the lens and then get a really nice pro lens for around $5k.

On the F335, you will be buying XDCAM cartridges. With the EXs, you store the footage on a drive somewhere.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]