FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM And NBC

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jones
XDCAM And NBC
on Aug 6, 2008 at 10:10:04 pm

I noticed that Sony announced today that NBC will be using PDW-700 cameras and PDW-HD 1500 decks for its Olympic coverage. It seem like for a year now, Panasonic had run ads in TV Technology stating that NBC was going to use their cameras and decks. Am I just misunderstanding this? Anyone with more info?

Also, anyone with any thoughts on the fact that now all three networks have adopted the XDCAM format (CBS and ABC for news and NBC for the Olympics)?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: XDCAM And NBC
on Aug 7, 2008 at 1:25:50 am

I can tell ya the competition has equally impressive stats.... Format wars will go on forever. Not really wars in all honesty as there's not a format yet that truly offers undeniable superiority in all areas. Choice and competition is more like it.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Aug 7, 2008 at 11:17:34 am

Hi,

NBC has had a 10 year contract with Sony for equipment the Olympic games, so it is no surprize that they are using Sony equipment once again. However the Beijing Olympic Broadcast Center and many others will be using Panasonic P2HD. This will be the first Olympics that will be covered in total in High Def.

Hope this helps,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Aug 8, 2008 at 12:36:15 am

Hi Jan,

Thanks for clearing it up :o) I always thought they had adopted Panasonic DVC Pro (when it came out) but maybe that's not the case anymore(?)

Return to posts index

on Aug 8, 2008 at 10:47:11 am

Hi,

NBC did buy into DVCPRO back in 1997 and they entered into the contract with Sony for the games at the same time. It was a very strange set of negotiations if I recall. At first the format and the games were on the same proposal, and NBC had them split the two apart. They chose DVCPRO for the format and Sony for the games.
I do not believe they have made any hard core decisions on the future as of yet. They may have purchased a couple Sony cameras, but they have also bought some Panasonic P2. I think they are still testing and figuring out how they will move into the future.

Best,

Jan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 10, 2008 at 4:44:04 am

Yes. Olimpics are one of the best opportunity for the big companies to present in society their last achievements. Barcelona 92 was the presentation (at least in Europe) of the DVCpro25 format (the replacement for BetaCam).
This year Panasonic have not much to offer. A perfect chance for SONY.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

on Aug 10, 2008 at 12:54:00 pm

[Rafael Amador] "by Rafael Amador on Aug 10, 2008 at 12:44:04 am
Yes. Olimpics are one of the best opportunity for the big companies to present in society their last achievements. Barcelona 92 was the presentation (at least in Europe) of the DVCpro25 format (the replacement for BetaCam). This year Panasonic have not much to offer. A perfect chance for SONY. "

Actually Rafael, the Barcelona Olympics proved that D3 was a viable format, In Atlanta in 1996, DVCPRO was proven, 2002 in Salt Lake City, DVCPRO50 was proven with an encore performance through the World Cup. In Torino we proved P2 and this year in Beijing you will find P2HD being proven. The only opportunities for Sony are those that are made by individual broadcasters, but the Beijing Operational Broadcast Center is all P2HD and any footage that comes from there was all shot and recorded on P2HD, and maybe some HDD5.

By proven, I do not mean that we weren't sure that the machines worked and we put them there to get the bugs out, I mean that the amount of usage that the machines get in this very short period of time, allows us to simulate a 3 year usage pattern i.e., a single owner operator bought a camera and owned it for 3 years. So we collapse the time frame of all the potentials and use that data to make the product better. Its one of the reasons that the D3 machines that came to the US were virtually perfect as Barcelona was PAL. And it is one of the reasons that we do this. Our engineering staff has been there since the beginning of July.

And the products that are there are in Beijing are the AJ-HPX2000, the AJ-HPX3000, the AG-HPX500 and the AG-HVX200A along with a number of small AVCHD cameras, P2 Mobiles, P2 Gears etc.

Here is an article about one of the broadcasters there Televisa and they are using P2. http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/action/televisa/

Hope this helps,

Jan

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Aug 10, 2008 at 2:47:22 pm

... and Jan, may I just say that the images coming out of the water cube are absolutely gorgeous :-)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 10, 2008 at 3:21:17 pm

Hi Jan,
You are right about the dates and the rest of the information in your post is very interesting.
I'm just a bit south of Peking, but I need to update my self about the last Panasonic's achievements.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 11, 2008 at 7:34:52 am

Would it not be more relevant to start a new thread about this on a Panasonic Forum?

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]