FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unloading EX1 on the fly

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Berardi
Unloading EX1 on the fly
on Aug 5, 2008 at 6:56:23 am

I just posted the last post, so I do not have an EX1 yet and may never have one.
But for instance, I have an issue with the flash cards. a 16 GB card in full res only holds about 50 minutes of footage, which is o.k., but if I am out for a 15 hour day of shooting randomly off and on. I might get 3 hours. I know a 32 GB card is coming out, but I would like to keep from buying it right away.

Anyway the issue is this, inevitably I will have to unload one of the cards at some point in the middle of a shoot. However I do not have a lap top computer. I have a desktop, a very good and very powerful one and not one I want to replace with a lap top, nor do I want to buy one in addition to buying an expensive camera. I know they have other devises that unload to hard drives automatically and what not. So what is the best way to go about this.
Thank you for your replies - assuming you reply...
John

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Unloading EX1 on the fly
on Aug 5, 2008 at 8:17:29 am

[John Berardi] "Thank you for your replies - assuming you reply..."

We always try to answer your questions here. You're talking about being able to offload the card media direct to a hard drive. You can buy somethng like a FireStore drive and hook that up to the EX via the firewire port but you'll only be able to record HDV to the drive. These drives are not cheap, either.

You need software in order to record direct or offload (after the fact) to any hard drive. If you want to shoot in the HQ mode and record that to something at the same time you can use the SDI port but again, you need something with an SDI connection. Think expensive. There are many ways available right now to do this but you don't want to spend the money. I don't blame you.

Your best bet is to buy a 15" Macbook Pro with an Express34 slot and a highly reliable and portable hard drive that is powered by the laptop's FW port. Then you can shoot all day with 2 16Gbyte cards. You can probably get a laptop/ext. hard drive setup that's less money than 2 of those cards.

- Don

Return to posts index

John Berardi
on Aug 5, 2008 at 5:30:34 pm

I heard of a hard disk coming out - the PHU 60k - it hooks up to the cards and records directly on the hard disk, is this available already - and how much do you think it will be, or is.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 5, 2008 at 5:42:17 pm

60GB about $1000 US (MSRP?).

I haven't heard whether it's out yet. I think I heard September at which point they'll be a firmware upgrade for EX1 compatibility.

HD has an SxS connector taking up a slot. It doesn't support Quick & Slow motion.

Some say 60GB is too small (under 4 hours of record time in HQ). On the other hand that's 3.5 hours give or take for not much more than the price of one 16GB SxS card. It's value (or lack of) may well depend on how fast SxS prices fall.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]