FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Flicker problem CMOS Chip?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Hitchcock
EX1 Flicker problem CMOS Chip?
on Aug 4, 2008 at 5:41:52 pm

Please view the Horizontal Flicker problem NTSC 1080p 29.97. I think this is the Sony CMOS chip problem.
Light bouncing into the lens from the water. I've noticed on white boxes and other shots. This is the worst.
Comments welcomed. I ve tried a couple of FCP effects like Flicker but nothing works to get rid of the flicker
Peter
http://gallery.me.com/peterhitchcock#100221
You can view larger screen size

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1 Flicker problem CMOS Chip?
on Aug 4, 2008 at 5:55:58 pm

Hi Peter,

I just had a look at your sample and yep, I'm seeing the same effect with mine but only when I first turn the camera on. For me, when this does happen (and it's not all the time) it's under all kinds of different shooting and lighting situations. Whether it's a CMOS thing or a signal processing thing I don't have a clue, but what's important to me me is that it goes away once the camera's warmed up. Takes about a minute for that to happen.

- Don

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
on Aug 4, 2008 at 7:08:39 pm

Don, thanks for that useful bit of advice.
That was from my first shot.
It took more than a minute to warm up as I have another shot with the same flicker. The 3rd shot is ok.
Hopeful that could be in the Sony EX1/3 Manual next time.
Cheers
Peter

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 4, 2008 at 7:43:40 pm

[Peter Hitchcock] "Hopeful that could be in the Sony EX1/3 Manual next time."

Agreed, but I'm wondering if Sony is even aware that this is happening.

- Don

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Aug 20, 2008 at 6:21:09 am

Peter, Don,

This has happened twice to me with my EX1 also. It doesn't seem like it is related to a warm-up thing: The first time it happened, I could see it plainly on the onboard LCD panel; I was doing a Porsche shoot and I was inside the drivers side near the dashboard. It seemed to be effected by something in the car which was running.

The second time I saw it was when I was shooting (of all things) a Hot Dog Eating Contest at the Keystone Resort. I was positioned in that moment in a tight space between some grills and some industrial fridges. In the later case, I know my camera was warmed up, and I am pretty sure it was in the Porsche too. I think it may have to do with magnetic fields. It isn't the water reflecting light into your lens though. I've shot that before and have successfully recorded footage like that without the issue. I'm still fascinated though, that nobody talks about the chromatic aberration issue! Anyway, hope this helps.

-stephen

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Nigel Ellis
on Aug 27, 2008 at 3:20:25 pm

I've contacted an engineer at Sony and sent him some clips that I had the problem with. I also sent him the link to this page. He wasn't sure what it is. He did recommend getting version 1.11 of the firmware installed. Luckily I live near the Sony service center in San Jose so I am going to get mine installed this week (from the sounds of it it is free).
I may do some more testing to recreate the problem. Maybe it is interference from my cell phone - but it has only happened on one shoot.

Nigel Ellis

Return to posts index

Nigel Ellis
on Aug 27, 2008 at 4:19:54 pm

I did some tests to try and recreate the problem. I can get it to happen by:
setting the camera to:
PAL area
Flicker reduction ON, 60hz
180 shutter
25P

If I point the camera a computer monitor for a few seconds the flicker appears - OK - but now pan away from the monitor and the flicker remains. The only light source being the monitor and daylight. I can't get it to happen in NTSC or PAL 50i - just 25P. If I turn the flicker reduction off it doesn't seem to happen either. Can you run a test to see if you get the same results? I will repeat the test with firmware v1.11 later in the week. It didn't happen at 24p.
It also happened when I wasn't pointing at a monitor under sun light only but I can recreate that as easily.
Can someone else try the same.
thanks,
Nigel

Nigel Ellis

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 27, 2008 at 5:03:30 pm

and you are turning Flicker Reduction On 60HZ for what reason?

Return to posts index

Nigel Ellis
on Sep 2, 2008 at 4:44:04 am

I was shooting 25p with 60hz lights. I went to the Sony Service Center in San Jose last week. We recreated the problem on one of their cameras. The consensus was to leave the flicker reduction turned off. If you see flicker then turn it on, if it doesn't go away then adjust the shutter. So for me I am never going to turn it on again as it adds flicker rather than removes it!!!!
Sony also installed firmware 1.11 for me (free).

Nigel Ellis

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 2, 2008 at 5:09:32 am

[Nigel Ellis] "Sony also installed firmware 1.11 for me (free)."

Nice! Everyone else is saying that Sony's going to charge 100 US dollars for doing the firmware upgrade, which if course comes with an inspection and calibration at the same time.

Thanks for the update regarding the flicker reduction switch. Let's hope your info will reach others with the same issue.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Hannan
on Sep 21, 2009 at 1:31:42 pm

Is there any way that anyone knows to remove or reduce the resulting flicker in editing? Even though this is an old thread, I'm still facing this problem. I'm working on a Avid Media Composer and have tried a few things but so far with no success. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Darren Levine
on May 23, 2011 at 2:06:35 pm

old thread and good to know the info about keeping flicker reduce off. if you happen to be in the middle of a shoot and can't stop recording and the flickering starts, i found that kicking an ND on and off will kill it. it's absolutely something to do with certain types of light

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]