FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Best workflow for HD-SDI uncompressed capture...?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Brown
EX3 Best workflow for HD-SDI uncompressed capture...?
on Aug 4, 2008 at 8:20:52 am

I get my new EX3 the end of the week. My intention will be to shoot green screen(music videos) and retain the best quality via the EX3.

So I'd like some help with a workflow and recommended hardware. I use both mac and pc but moving more towards the mac these days. I have a MacPro three drives raided in 0 and also have an 8 drive raid via a hpt 3522 host card in raid 5. I believe it benches somewhere over 300mb/s or better on the read and write.

Main system is a MacPro 2008 w/8gb of ram stock video card.

Software on MacPro is final cut studio 2 and Adobe Master Collection on mac. I also own the Adobe Collection on an 8 core 8gb 4U server also w/8 drive raid in 0. It benches over 500 mb/s.

Thanks for any help and recommendations...and to all who answered my questions regarding hvx vs. ex1 for green screen and overall comparisons...it helped with my decision to buy an EX3.

Ryan Brown
DowntownBrownEnt.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX3 Best workflow for HD-SDI uncompressed capture...?
on Aug 4, 2008 at 10:58:49 am

AJA IO HD or AJA KONA 3 would do the trick via HD-SDI.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 4, 2008 at 2:01:17 pm

You will need an HD-SDI capture card, Kona LHe or Kona 3 would be a good way to go.You should have the speed to go uncompressed but why not use Pro Rez as it is a 10 bit codec. This system is fine for controlled sets where you have enough time and a designated area to setup the Mac Pro and someone to operated it with proper AC power, but there is another option. Rather than this ball and chain method you could look into the Convergent Design Flash XDR compact flash HD-SDI recorders that can give you the quality you need in a small box. This is the most affordable system to get near uncompressed quality without all the hassle of the Mac Pro, the raid, and the person to operated it.
http://www.convergent-design.com/downloads/Flash%20XDR%20Brochure.pdf

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

ryan brown
on Aug 4, 2008 at 6:37:27 pm

Thanks Noah and Michael for your input.

Noah how does the Aja stuff compare to BMD? I was looking at the Decklink HD Extreme with the hdmi in/out.

Michael that new box and flash sounds pretty darn cool. I'll have to take a closer look at it.

I appreciate the feedback guys.

Ryan Brown
DowntownBrownEnt.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 11, 2008 at 8:40:47 pm

It's a matter of taste. The AJA stuff I prefer- bit more stable and more options but also more expensive and you'll find plenty of folks who will argue BMD offers the same for less. Personal preference.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]