FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 versus EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis O'Keefe
EX-3 versus EX-1
on Aug 2, 2008 at 5:17:14 pm

While setting up a new EX-3 I noticed that my EX-1 profiles weren't recognized when I did a camera recall.
On the card (under the SONY folder) there is a separate file for the EX-3 with it's own setup.suf.
I copied my EX-1 picture profile (setup.suf) file to the EX-3 folder and all seems to be working, now I have to test to see if the pictures match between the two cameras.
Any other differences that I should be aware of?

Return to posts index

John Northrup
Re: EX-3 versus EX-1
on Oct 2, 2009 at 5:56:11 pm

Thanks Denis for posting this helpful bit of information. Did you get it to work after all? I just came off a shoot with my EX-1 and a rented EX-3. Silly me, I just assumed I could store my camera settings from my EX-1 on an SxS card and recall on the EX-3. I'm amazed how little design gotchas like this can create extra stress in the field. Facing more time and $ for color correction in post. Sure would be nice if Sony could make this a uniform feature between cameras. I hope this info can help someone else who is prepping a shoot with these two cameras. .suf files, who knew!

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Oct 2, 2009 at 7:10:53 pm

When I first got the EX3 it did read the EX1 suf files, and the pictures seemed to match pretty well. Then one day on a job I couldn't get the SDI output to work, every time I read the suf it turned on the ilink, then the camera froze.
End of experiment. I got a setup that generally works, got the cameras to look alike and I leave them alone.
They don't take much tweaking in post and I have fewer gray hairs ( although that may just be the progression of baldness).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 2, 2009 at 7:21:11 pm

Was there a firmware upgrade to either of the cameras at any point.

When my EX1 was firmware upgraded from 1.03 to 1.11, SDI failed under certain circumstances. I had Sony reinstall the firmware and all was well again.

It may also be that if your EX1 is still below 1.11, it can't match the EX3 which had the 1.11 features enabled from its release (although it has a different firmware numbering system).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]