FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 EX1 simultaneously white balance

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alejandro Sole
3 EX1 simultaneously white balance
on Jul 31, 2008 at 9:08:26 pm

hello out there...
hope you can help with this one... I have a 3 camera set. 3 EX1, with exactly the same setup in each one of them, pointing at the same sheet of white paper to do my white balance. same ND, IRIS, ZOOM, FOCUS, GAIN, UV FILTER full Manual Focus. NO FULL AUTO. And they just don't give me the same temperature... one of them (let's call her Cam A) gives 3200K, but the other two (let`s call them Cam B and Cam C) gives me 3400K.
The only difference between them (in one hand A in other hand B and C) is that Cam A was bought on January, and B and C where bought both on May this year.
Is that the cause? if it is, how can I help it? if not, what is the problem them? theres a way to change the K manually?

Mojo Jojo
I am the evil genius

Return to posts index

Ben Hall
Re: 3 EX1 simultaneously white balance
on Jul 31, 2008 at 9:33:02 pm

Hmmm...If 3200 is all you need why not force the other two with presets?

Have your White, Matrix, and Gamma settings changed between the cameras? I would suggest renting or borrowing a DSC Labs ChromDumonde chart and a vector scope to help you truly know what true black and true white are.

Check you knee levels as well...I turn mine off as it's just annoying to me and the way I light.

Good Luck...

Mal: If anyone gets nosy, just, you know... shoot 'em.

Zoe: Shoot 'em?

Mal: Politely

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jul 31, 2008 at 10:48:40 pm

The number readouts are relative to each camera. I wouldn't be too concerned that they don't match. Your best bet is to refresh the factory "standard" set up (this will normalize all the settings and then white balance on a chip chart with the cameras in position; this will account for the different lights that light each angle and any particular color reflections.

Of course the best way to match multicam is the route all the signals through a switcher and to a monitor bridge of waveform/vectorscope and high quality color monitor (with proper viewing envoronment). Then when looking at a DSC Chroma du Monde chart (or equivilent) to adjust the whites, blacks, gammas, flares, knee point and slope, saturation and matrix for best match with remote paint boxes (like RMB750) in the hands of a skilled video controller. Any other method will defer matching adjustments to the post-production envoronment, there is no free lunch or short cuts.

Return to posts index

Alejandro sole
on Aug 22, 2008 at 6:57:51 pm

ok... sorry Im late to respond,,,
My problem is that what i do is kin of tv news, with 3 cameras, so I must WB on each location, and many times we go with only the cameras.
I've been testing and retesting, experimenting pushing buttons, reseting the cameras... and STILL with the 3 cameras RESETED and none of the factory setups changed, nor any option adjusted... as if "new from the box" they STILL give me different colors... this is getting annoying now. anyone out there is having a similar problem? comparing 3 new cameras, shouldn't they all give me the same colors?

Mojo Jojo
I am the evil genius

Return to posts index

Nigel Ellis
on Aug 2, 2008 at 4:57:24 am

Use the picture profile settings to manually set the preset to the color temp you want on the other cameras. I think it is under the 'white' option.

Nigel Ellis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]