FORUMS: list search recent posts

Schneider Optics W/A Adapter For EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Hall
Schneider Optics W/A Adapter For EX1
on Jul 28, 2008 at 9:28:48 pm

Following an earlier thread I contacted Schneider Optics about reported problems with their 0.75X WA adapter for the EX1. Their statement follows. The fact that all my shooting in the last few months has been in non-urban locations, with no straight architectural lines, might explain why we hadn't noticed any particular problem, but I will return the lens and wait for its replacement.

Schneider Optics withdraws the .75X Wide Converter for the Sony EX1 (OHD-75CV-EX1) from the market.

To our valued Customers:

Shortly after the shipment of the first units, Schneider Optics Inc., discovered that the distortion characteristics of the zoom lens on the Sony EX1 video camera interacted with the distortion suppression characteristics of the Century .75X Wide Converter in an unanticipated fashion. Specifically the barrel distortion in the Sony lens has some high order characteristics that tend to lessen the curvature near the edge. The Century .75X was designed to minimize barrel distortion but the interaction with the Sony lens results in a reversal to pin-cushion at the edge which causes a wiggle or upward arc that can only be seen when the subject matter allows.

We know that based on use and subject matter many, if not most, users might not notice the problem or find it objectionable. Demanding applications involving architecture and other instances where both distortion and the nature of the distortion can be problematic could be affected.

At Schneider we pride ourselves on the quality of our products. The Century Brand stands for the best video accessories available, period. We strive to satisfy the most critical, most demanding customers and applications, not just the majority ......or 9 out of 10. Therefore we are discontinuing the sale of this product effective immediately. Our designers and engineers are looking at finding a superior solution. We are confident they will, but in truth in will be some months before the outcome of their efforts is known.

Any customer that has purchased a Century .75X Wide Converter for the Sony EX1, and is dissatisfied in any way can return it for a refund. Contact the dealer you purchased it from. If you have any problem at all, contact Schneider Optics directly and we will arrange for a refund.

Should you elect to keep it, be assured parts and service will be available in the future.

We regret any inconvenience this situation may cause.

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
Re: Schneider Optics W/A Adapter For EX1
on Jul 28, 2008 at 9:36:52 pm

I forgot to say that this lens was released under the Century Optics brand, and Century has merged with Schneider.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Schneider Optics W/A Adapter For EX1
on Jul 28, 2008 at 9:49:58 pm

Thanks for posting that, Derek.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]