FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting in desert

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Raizman
shooting in desert
on Jul 27, 2008 at 5:21:42 am

I'm taking my EX1 to Burning Man in the Nevada desert for a doc I'm shooting. I've been told the air is very dusty and very hard of cameras because the dust just permeates everything. I just picked up the PortaBrace BodyArmor but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for protecting the camera in this kind of environment.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-279-6596

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: shooting in desert
on Jul 27, 2008 at 10:49:03 pm

I think an underwater housing is overkill. Yes Burning Man can be quite dusty but with the Portabrace, a nice tent, compressed air, brushes, cleaning supplies, etc. You should be fine. This is the sort of situation where a solid state camera will excel. Just remember to bring lots of water more than anything.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Dave Raizman
on Jul 27, 2008 at 11:26:32 pm

Thanks Noah.

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-279-6596

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 28, 2008 at 9:42:29 am

I Can not access such sophisticated gear, so when I've been filming in mines I've been using big plastic bags. The same used or the dustbins.
You make a hole for the lens and adjust it with a rubber band.
In a place dusty and windy is perfect. Allows you cover your head and keep shooting. Like the old photographers. And you look funny when shooting.
What you must be careful is the heat. The EX-1 really scare me. Don't forget an umbrella in the tripod bag.
Good luck

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Adam Rose Esq.
on Jul 28, 2008 at 12:34:39 pm

Rafael: your method has great appeal! especially the old-photographer look - lol

:)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 28, 2008 at 2:27:25 pm

Hi Adam,
And don't let talk about the price:-)
Seriously. I live in a place where there are only two season: The Muddy Season and the Dusty Season.
A bunch of big plastic bag in the sac is a must. Anyway, there is nothing else available.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Adam Rose Esq.
on Jul 28, 2008 at 3:01:46 pm

Rafael: wow, you got some seriously beautiful footage on that site of yours!

:)

what were you shooting on prior to getting your EX1?

I've spent a lot of time in Taiwan, and some in China & HK. Not yet Laos...........

Adam

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Jul 28, 2008 at 5:19:19 pm

Most of my dust and dirt experience has been with the bigger cameras, and a giant plastic bag and duct tape is hard to beat.

The EX 1 has some pretty serious vent holes near the back. It hasn't been nearly as hot as working with the Panasonic HDX 900 ( damn near burned my ear after several hours) but I would be cautious about covering them up too well -- leave the bag or cover loose around the vents.

My serious suggestion is some kind of small vacuum to use before you shoot compressed air - no sense in driving the dust deeper into the innards.
Second suggestion - buy the Sony silver protection plan for the camera. That way you can send the camera in for a check up and cleaning when you're done, and it covers the camera against real damage too.

good luck at the burning man!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 28, 2008 at 11:47:52 pm

Hi Adam,
Thanks for visiting my humble web site.
The most of the clips there, are from my DVCam PD-170.
No I'm learning with the EX-1.
I've been a video editor for more than 20 years, but when I came to Laos I become a one-man-band.
Thanks God this country is so beautiful that even a bad cameraman, as my self, can show some gorgeous shots.
If you ever come over you will be very welcomed.
Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]