FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Wide Angle

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Villa
EX1 Wide Angle
on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:42:48 pm

I am thinking about getting the Red Eye wide angle lens . . . I know that it is not zoom thru.
Does anyone have experience with this lens and can offer a review?
Thanks
Bob

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1 Wide Angle
on Jul 24, 2008 at 6:58:13 pm

If you go to the Red Eye website there's a link to a review at Studio Daily. The reviewer's overall opinion is that the Red Eye's strength is being able to quickly get a zoomless wide shot by screwing on a W/A adapter that's barely bigger than a filter.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technology/pvr/7289.html

The Red Eye was designed by a Canadian cameraman, so it has to be good. (g)

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Villa
on Jul 24, 2008 at 7:14:21 pm

I had not seen that, thanks Don.
Bob

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Jul 24, 2008 at 8:19:20 pm

I had a redeye that I used with my Z1u, and sold it several months ago. It worked as advertised -- you put in on and put the lens into auto focus/ macro and it focused on the back of the element. Yo do have to be careful about every speck of dust, they will show up.
Because f the plastic threads on the Z1u it was sometimes finicky to mount, but the lens element and ring seemed to be pretty robust.

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Jul 25, 2008 at 9:58:17 am

Have you considered the Century Optics W/A adapter? I'm using the 0.75 zoom-thru adapter and find it excellent.
It does weigh 1kg (2.2lbs) and if you're using a matte box you need to make sure the frame is clear when at the widest, but it's the best of the three options I've tried.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 25, 2008 at 5:11:41 pm

[Derek Hall] "'m using the 0.75 zoom-thru adapter and find it excellent. "

I thought they were recalled due to focusing issues. Derek, you don't have a problem getting focus at the edges of the frame?

- Don

Return to posts index

Derek Hall
on Jul 25, 2008 at 10:52:22 pm

Don, thanks for the heads-up. We haven't noticed any frame-edge focusing issues (yet) and my supplier hasn't mentioned a recall (yet).
However I'll do a test and also contact Century Optics to see what the deal is. I'll post again if I find something to report, and let you know what the test yields. Cheers, Derek

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 26, 2008 at 1:32:51 am

[Derek Hall] "We haven't noticed any frame-edge focusing issues (yet) and my supplier hasn't mentioned a recall (yet). "

The recall for the .75 W/A adapter was announced by Century/Schneider on May 16th. They had so many complaints from users about not being able to get whole frame in focus that Schneider pulled them off the market. I had one on order myself but it never arrived before the recall.

More info here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/858479#858671

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]