FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 Status display question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
EX-1 Status display question
on Jul 23, 2008 at 4:46:58 pm

I'm getting ready for a fairly complex music video shoot. I'd like to log footage as we shoot by clip number, but I can't seem to find a way to display the clip number without constantly having to switch from camera to media mode. Is it possible to display the clip number on the status display while shooting?

Also, is there a way to send the status info to a field monitor along with the image? My DSR300 DVCAM camera has this capability, but I don't see a setting for that on the EX.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX-1 Status display question
on Jul 23, 2008 at 6:56:32 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "Is it possible to display the clip number on the status display while shooting? "

More research is required. I'll get back to you on this.

[Chris Babbitt] "Also, is there a way to send the status info to a field monitor along with the image?"

Yes. To display the menus and status information on a connected monitor go to the Video Set menu and turn on: "YPbPr/SDI Out Display".

- Don

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jul 23, 2008 at 7:15:19 pm

Thanks Don. What I should have asked is, How do I get the status display on the video composite output, not the component output. I have a standard def monitor on the steady rig and the crane, and when I tried it last, I don't think I was getting the status display, but I just tried it again, and it's there. So, I must be losing my mind. Sorry for the trouble.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 23, 2008 at 7:42:45 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "Sorry for the trouble. "

What trouble? Every time I open the user manual I always learn something, so it's all good.

Chris, I was trying to figure out if one could assign the shot name status to an assignable button and have have it display during record mode but it's not one of the assignable functions. You can mark clips while in record mode with 2 different markers but that's not what you want. So far I haven't found a workaround for you.

- Don

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jul 23, 2008 at 7:46:32 pm

That's odd. It seems like a logical way to keep track during shooting, rather than time code, etc.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 23, 2008 at 8:09:01 pm

[Chris Babbitt] "t seems like a logical way to keep track during shooting, rather than time code, etc."

I know. It would seem like a natural thing to be able to display. I was also thinking you could change the timecode portion of the display to the clip name instead but there's only:

timecode
timecode - clock mode
user bits
clip duration - elapsed time from the beginning of the clip

You can't even get the clip name from any of the status screens while in record mode. That's the status button below the handle where you can cycle through all the status screens.

- Don

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jul 23, 2008 at 8:32:27 pm

Yes, I tried all those as well.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 23, 2008 at 9:57:03 pm

I find time of day, although not what you want, has a real ease of use factor.
If you match the time of day code to your (whoever is logging the shots) then they don't need to bug anyone. They look at the watch and note the time and it'll be close to whatever your shooting. Neither you nor they even have to look at the status display.

Now what would really make that work is if then just typed the time code in your NLE player it would call the clip with the correct time code. Otherwise knowing the clip number would help and . . . . we're back we started from . . . but alas you can't see clip number on the status display.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]