FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PDW-U1 XDCAM drive

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark S Copley
Sony PDW-U1 XDCAM drive
on Jul 22, 2008 at 2:48:54 pm

Is anyone successfully using the Sony PDW-U1 XDCAM drive to copy files from the SxS cards as a means of backup yet? Or also backing P2 footage that way? Supposedly the unit can do this although I can't find anything on Sony's site about this. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, Mark C

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Sony PDW-U1 XDCAM drive
on Jul 22, 2008 at 7:30:42 pm

Hi Mark,

The use of the PDW-U1 to transfer EX files requires a firmware update for the device which, as far as I know, hasn't been released by Sony yet. There's even a rumor elsewhere on this forum that the update won't occur until October of this year. Hope that rumor proves to be false.

The PDW-U1 firmware update will allow the user to copy and archive virtually any media or text file, including P2 media, to the device as well, which is a huge plus when you're trying to archive an entire project.

You can also use the COW's search function to read all recent posts concerning the PDW-U1.

Stay tuned.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 22, 2008 at 7:37:25 pm

I'm all ears too Don, this firmware update would be a good thing.

MP

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 23, 2008 at 6:47:54 pm

Same here. My decision to recommend XDCAM EX to my boss hinges on being able to archive footage to XDCAM disc media. Once Sony makes this drive usable as an archiving device, they set themselves apart as having a tapeless format with some decent archiving capabilities.

Cf

Return to posts index

cowcow
John Branscum
on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:27:01 pm

I'm refreshing this thread because we are trying to determine our move into HD. Has the firmware update happened? Can we copy file Directly from an SxS card to a XDCAM disk. Then put the cards back into the field and at a later date edit from the Disk? Would love to pick some one's brain on XDCAM EX over all work flow. We are still tape based and using AVID MC and Express Pro. If anyone has time for a phone call shoot me an email and I will provide a phone. Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2009 at 8:05:20 pm

Supposedly the update happened recently. It may have been mentioned in another thread.
I wonder if anyone can test and report.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]