FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Robbin
XDCAM EX Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer
on Jul 21, 2008 at 10:55:28 pm

Please explain the difference between the XDCAM EX Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer... or how you use them to on FCP 6.04 to import clips into your project. It's simple, I know, but I'm puzzled...Thanks.

LR

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XDCAM EX Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer
on Jul 21, 2008 at 11:05:57 pm

Sony's transfer tool is what you use to get the files from the solid state cards and into an editable format within FCP. You can use the Transfer app by itself or it will automatically start within FCP when you go to the file menu and choose: Import XDCAM.

The Clip Browser is basically a copy tool or, with the newest version, a way to transcode from HD to SD before it gets to your NLE. The Clip Browser is also used to split up XDCAM files so you can burn archival media such as dual layer DVDs or Blu-Ray discs. You don't need the Clip Browser to edit XDCAM files in FCP but you do need the Transfer app.

- Don

Return to posts index

Lawrence Robbin
on Jul 22, 2008 at 3:01:03 am

I did a test to begin to learn workflow (EX 1 and FCP)...
I wanted to see what HQ 24P footage would look like.
When I imported video from EX1 using the XDCAM transfer tool into a test project and placed the shots on a timeline to view the quality of the HD imagery, playback was 'iffy.' A bit jerky, jaggy edges.

Is this right...
I need to decide upfront if the final product is SD or HD before I import clips... If SD, use the Clip browser to transcode HD to SD. After transcoding clips, import them into the project and work on it.

Or...If the final product is HD, used XDCAM transfer tool to import into the project. Also, it looks like I need to figure out project settings (for the particular kind of HD quality I've shot) so that video playback of clips on the timeline shows the excellence I expect - I don't know the term, properly "aligned for playback and editing".

Perhaps there's a website that can walk me through these early stages.

On the other hand...Having no problems importing and editing SD on FCP(DVCAM)!

thanks!

LR

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 22, 2008 at 5:05:17 am

[Lawrence Robbin] "Is this right...
I need to decide upfront if the final product is SD or HD before I import clips... If SD, use the Clip browser to transcode HD to SD. After transcoding clips, import them into the project and work on it. "

Not necessarily. You can always edit in HD and export an SD version once the edit is complete. With FCP there's always 3 or 4 different ways to accomplish the same task depending on how you like to work. Now for the first time it's possible to use the Sony Clip Browser software to transcode from HD to SD before you even start FCP. Up until now everyone has been using FCP/Compressor to do these down converts. If you choose to use the Clip Browser for this make sure the quality is on par with FCP's conversion quality.

[Lawrence Robbin] "Also, it looks like I need to figure out project settings (for the particular kind of HD quality I've shot) "

With FCP 6 as long as you have any sort of empty timeline to begin with all you have to do is drag your 1080p 24 clip into it and FCP will ask if you want to change the sequence settings to match the clip settings. Just say yes and FCP will properly format the timeline to match.

[Lawrence Robbin] "When I imported video from EX1 using the XDCAM transfer tool into a test project and placed the shots on a timeline to view the quality of the HD imagery, playback was 'iffy.' A bit jerky, jaggy edges. "

It could be that your 24p clip was being displayed in an interlaced timeline. Check this out by going to the Browser and making sure the field order for the actual timeline is set to "none" in the field dominance column. You can right or control-click in the text field to change it if the field order is set to something else.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]