FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1 workflow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark aitken
Sony EX1 workflow
on Jul 20, 2008 at 8:48:00 pm

Hello - I'm planning a feature doc shoot and looking at using two Sony EX1's. There's a myriad questions to do with workflow but I thought that if I suggest what equipment I have then perhaps I could be advised on what I still need to get.

I have a Mac G4 laptop - am I right in thinking this isn't useful for downloading from the cards? So do I need a newer laptop?

I guess I need two external drives for saving files when working. Can the HD footage be moved via firewire?

And then with post...
I have a new iMac with this spec..
Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Nmber Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version: 1.21f4

Is this enough to handle HD? And I hear I need a FCP version 6 to cut with.

Answers to these questions will be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Sony EX1 workflow
on Jul 21, 2008 at 12:43:10 am

That machine should do ok- the system overhead for standard XDCAM EX editing is not all that much more than working with HDV or even DV. If you can spring for a new MacBook Pro with its Express Card slot you'll have an easier time with field ingest. And of course I would humbly offer my DVD as a solid workflow primer for the EX1 with Final Cut Pro. :)

http://www.callboxlive.com/store/sony-guidebook-p-39.html

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 21, 2008 at 12:53:42 am

I have a Mac G4 laptop - am I right in thinking this isn't useful for downloading from the cards?
I dumped my G4 Power Book and my G5 PPC last year. I don't believe you need any new computers but for some strange reason the Intel Mac's work great with the Newer FCS2 and the EX series codec.

So do I need a newer laptop?
No, but my life is so much easier now with the Intel Macs.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 21, 2008 at 3:18:16 am

If for nothing else than a compatible Express Card slot that's why I'd upgrade.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

mark aitken
on Jul 21, 2008 at 7:04:37 am

Thanks for your advice.

Just a couple more details....it looks like I'll need to buy a Macbook pro with an Express card slot. Can I copy the media via firewire to external drives for storage? (someone told me that you can't use firewire with HD)

also - do I need to install any specific software in the laptop or my iMac for editing to handle HD files?

Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 21, 2008 at 2:37:58 pm

What you will do with the computers you have now is you will use either the camera or the SxS card reader to copy the raw files onto your computer, you can use a firewire storage with both of your Mac computers. Your friend doesn't have good information and yes you can use firewire with XD Cam file to edit with Final Cut Pro.

"do I need to install any specific software in the laptop or my iMac for editing to handle HD files?"
You will need the SxS driver so your computer can read the card and you will need FCS2 6.0.2 or newer that has the EX codec necessary to edit these files.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

mark aitken
on Jul 21, 2008 at 2:42:42 pm

Thanks Michael - that's really helpful. I was wondering is something had replaced firewire...

Cheers,
Mark

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 21, 2008 at 3:11:50 pm

Don't forget XDCAM Transfer Tool. Best to get latest version 2.7 due to bug fixes.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 21, 2008 at 3:38:49 pm

Yes, you will need the 2.7 XD Cam Transfer software to convert the raw XD Cam files to a QuickTime .mov to edit in Final Cut. With file based media you must use a well thought out file organization system and will learn to guard the BPAV folder only putting it inside a separate folder of it's own and naming it properly for archiving. This BPAV folder must never be place with any other BPAV folders and must always be kept in a separate folder to work properly with the transfer software. To work in Final Cut you are going to use the transfer software that makes new .mov files and you must find a place for them to be stored as well. At the end of your edit you have choices to either keep both the raw XD Cam files and the new Quicktime .mov files, I keep them both or if I don't have the storage room I keep the raw, this allows me the ability to work on any software platform (PC or Mac) later. Craig Seeman has been archiving his files to DVD and he can fill you in on his process.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 21, 2008 at 4:12:20 pm

I use Clip Browser to split the BPAV from 16GB card to back up to DL-DVD. Not needed for 8GB cards.

Clip Browser 1 had an issue that when selecting 8GB as the split point for DL-DVD it actually split it at that point. Unfortunately DL-DVD holds about 7.9GB (I think 7.95 actually).

Clip Browser 2 now has a DL-DVD selection in the pull down when splitting which, although shows a ghosted 8.5GB, which is what you'll see DL-DVD labeled as, actually does split at 7.9GB (so far I've only tested this a couple of times though)

What I do is first use Clip Browser to copy the file on to my hard drive. I then split that BPAV into 2 as per above and back those up to DL-DVD.

I use Verbatim 95123 hub printable. Not all DL-DVD are the same BTW so get only "pemium" rated DVDs. After archiving to DL-DVD I print Client name, shoot date, disk number if more than one, format (MP4 but there have been times it's MOV and I also use AVCHD for one such camera we use).

Return to posts index

mark aitken
on Jul 22, 2008 at 12:02:57 pm

Ok - so I now know that I need to buy a Macbook Pro with an express card slot.

Two external drives (I hear Western Digital are good) for storage with firewires.

FCP 6.02 or later.

Sony XD CAM software from their site - version 2.7.

Now... I'm not sure what a BPAV folder is - is it the original RAW files and do I store them as well?
When the original files are converted to quicktimes do we lose any quality from HD?
Is Clip Browser part of FCP?
We're shooting a feature doc over three weeks with two cameras. I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string' affair but do you know how many minutes of HD footage can fit on a 500GB drive? Or should I store the files on DVD as I think you were suggesting...

Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 22, 2008 at 1:19:42 pm

I'm not sure what a BPAV folder is - is it the original RAW files and do I store them as well?
YES, The BPAV folder is the raw files and you need everything within it and you can never rename it or store it with any other files, always put it in its own separate folder and name that folder.

When the original files are converted to quicktimes do we lose any quality from HD?
I don't think there is any loss because the transfer program is really just rewrapping the file to a .mov wrapper.

how many minutes of HD footage can fit on a 500GB drive?
16gig cards hold 57 minutes of HQ (35Mbps) so you should be able to safely store about 28 16gig cards to the 500gig drive.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 23, 2008 at 9:42:57 pm

[Michael Palmer] "I'm not sure what a BPAV folder is - is it the original RAW files and do I store them as well?
YES, The BPAV folder is the raw files and you need everything within it and you can never rename it or store it with any other files, always put it in its own separate folder and name that folder. "

Although ClipBrowser 2 will successfully rescue an orphaned MP4 and create a new BPAV file should you make a booboo.

[Michael Palmer] "When the original files are converted to quicktimes do we lose any quality from HD?
I don't think there is any loss because the transfer program is really just rewrapping the file to a .mov wrapper.
"

Nothing lost at all. but just in case you're wondering why not save the mov instead of the original BPAV, the mov will only work with FCP with the appropriate EX codec installed. Those BPAV can be converted to work on other NLEs if you need to do that (like hand files to a client for example).

[Michael Palmer] "how many minutes of HD footage can fit on a 500GB drive?
16gig cards hold 57 minutes of HQ (35Mbps) so you should be able to safely store about 28 16gig cards to the 500gig drive. "

And twice as many on a 1TB drive . . . personally I'm nervous about about hard drives as archive if that's what you're thinking. I use good DL-DVD but others seem to be nervous about that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]