FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnect media with FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Jordan
Reconnect media with FCP
on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:01:22 pm

We're just getting started with XDCam after years of editing with Beta SP. I have a question about the XDCam equivalent of "batch capture". If I go back to a project down the road after all the media has been deleted from the computer, is there a way to recapture the media from the disks? With tape, I select all the offline clips and tell it to batch capture and it will redigitize all the media and restore the timeline. How do I do that with XDCam? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Reconnect media with FCP
on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:10:43 pm

If you saved the raw XD Cam files you will need to convert back to .mov, and when reconnecting direct Final Cut to that drive with the converted .mov media. If you save the .mov files just dump them on a drive and reconnect to that folder.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:24:01 pm

If I understand you, you're suggesting that I either have to reimport my media from the XDCam disks and reconnect, or store the original media on another hard drive. One reason we went with XDCam is because we plan on archiving the disks, so I don't think we'll put the media on another hard drive.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 17, 2008 at 9:58:05 pm

There is no Batch Capturing with a file based media that I'm aware of. I don't have first hand experience with XD Cam disks only the EX series XD Cam files which I believe are the same and both need to be transfered to QuickTime .mov files to work in FC. Lets say you completed a project but months later you need to make a change and the .mov media has been wiped off the storage drive, I would think you just open that project re-import the media from the disk making the .mov again then reconnect and go. When you re-import you are re-wrapping the file making a new .mov file and you will need to make a place for it to live on the storage drive, then when reconnecting just direct FC to that folder, boom the timeline is alive again. Try it and see. I think you are wondering if FC would only grab the exact frames as it would from tape and It just may but why not have all the files back in less than real time as opposed to tape.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Jul 18, 2008 at 6:38:32 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. What I liked about batch capture using tape is that FCP only captures the media it needs to fill the timeline. You don't have to recapture the other 20 minutes of the interview. However, I can live with bringing all the media back if that's what we have to do.

I think the other issue that we're dealing with is that we cannot rename the clips in the log and transfer software. (We're using the latest- v. 2.7 on the Mac) We're using the PDW-U1 drives to read the media, and they apparently won't write to the disk. If I try to load from the camera, (F355 camera), I can name the disk but I cannot rename any of the clips. We search the clips inside of our Macs, so we don't want to work with clips named "C0065". Are we doing something wrong when we try to rename the clips in the log and transfer software?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 18, 2008 at 7:06:47 pm

file based material is so much faster and easier to import, I would welcome the entire file back in case I might need handles when recutting. File naming in you're case should be handled before the camera rolls, I setup a file code before I start shooting that helps me identify the material.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jul 19, 2008 at 8:06:30 am

I ran into a similar situation when I had to re-acquire media for a project that had been edited.

The big problem was how to re-connect the clips that had been re-named during the original Log & Transfer process. Unless there's a way to save that re-naming process as a permanent database FCP won't know which media to connect to the clip in the sequence.

So I don't rename clips and I let the XDCam software keep the original media names as the clip names.

Where a batch capture process relies on reel names and time code to redigitize media, it's different with clip-based media. With clip-based media FCP relies on the clip names to connect clips with media, and timecode determines a clip's in and out points in relation to the media.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Jul 19, 2008 at 11:44:12 pm

That makes sense. I would still like to rename the clips when I first see them in the Log and Transfer software. I've been able to name the disk, but not any of the clips. Is it because I haven't set the naming mode to "free" in the camera? I'm wondering if it will only accept the format "C0001" because that's the way it's set in the menu. I plan on trying that when I get in on Monday. If we can rename the clips from the beginning, I can live with them keeping that name from that point on. It's just that having clips named "C0065" doesn't help us very much. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jul 22, 2008 at 11:20:10 am

The other option is to capture them en masse, then rename the clips within FCP.

The clip media, and FCP's reference to them, will continue to retain the obscure naming convention, but you'll be able to see your assigned clip names in the sequence.

The only precaution I would suggest is when you media manage the project: Base the media names on media names and not clip names. That way the media will still have the original XDCam-assigned names which FCP can connect to should you ever need to re-acquire and re-link.

Hope this makes sense.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Jul 22, 2008 at 2:00:44 pm

Thanks for your advice. I work for a sports team, and we end up with a couple thousand individual clips at the end of the season. Keeping it all straight is very important, as you can guess. I discovered the first thing I was doing wrong- I still had the clip title setting in the camera set to "Cxxxx". That's why I couldn't rename the clips in the log and transfer software. I changed that to "Free". My plan, now, is to rename each clip in the log and transfer software before importing it into FCP. We'll maintain the same names from that point on.

I think the answer to my other question is that I'll just have to reimport the entire clip if I'm reconnecting in the future. I haven't seen any tools that allow me to only import the actual media used in the sequence. However, now that I think we've solved the clip naming issue, reconnecting in the future shouldn't be very hard. Thanks for everyone for all your advice. I always check the Cow first when I have a question!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]