FORUMS: list search recent posts

matching EX1/3 with digibeta?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Rose Esq.
matching EX1/3 with digibeta?
on Jul 14, 2008 at 4:31:28 pm

heyo

last year shot a documentary tv series on digibeta. Client wants to shoot some new intro/ outro sequences - very simple stuff - but doesn't have the budget for digi + operator.

would an EX1/3 do a good enough job?

thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: matching EX1/3 with digibeta?
on Jul 14, 2008 at 4:43:25 pm

[Adam Rose Esq.] "would an EX1/3 do a good enough job? "

I would say that it's more than good enough. EX1 footage intercuts seamlessly with Sony F900 studio camera footage. I've seen that for myself, so I'd have to say that you'd be quite happy intercutting EX footage will digibeta.

- Don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 14, 2008 at 7:17:40 pm

Ha- yeah I think if you shot 1080/24p the producer was suddenly start asking how to match the Beta to the EX1 footage. But alas, you'll probably have to dumb it down to 60i.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tom David
on Jul 15, 2008 at 3:51:29 am

Matching the footage to digi will be fine with good hardware - but you will have to down-convert to SD, and results vary wildly if you don't have Blackmagic or Konja (etc) hardware to assist with that. A simple Final Cut sequence downconvert without such hardware will produce ordinary downconverts (such as weird and jagged lines - like on shelving, and car grills etc) - which troubles lots of people on this forum without that hardware.

Also, if shooting off tripod, should be fine - if off the shoulder, be careful - motion from an ENG digi shot off the shoulder looks very different to the potentially shaky handheld of the smaller, lighter EX1.

Cheers,
Tom

Cheers,
Tom

Camera Operator - Editor - Motion Graphics
(http://www.tomdavid.com.au)

Return to posts index

Adam Rose Esq.
on Jul 15, 2008 at 7:15:26 am

thanks for the responses

some other people (another forum) have warned about the downconvert issues too, advising me to shoot on SD. They are of the opinion that only a Snell & Wilcox converter will do a good enough job. Me, I use Vegas, which has always done a sterling job, far better than in-camera downconversion.

regarding sticks: prob will not be able to use them :(

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 15, 2008 at 12:13:27 pm

I downconvert all day long using FCP and Compressor- looks absolutely awesome...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]