FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 mastered to dvcam

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Jafri
EX-1 mastered to dvcam
on Jul 6, 2008 at 1:44:11 am

Here's a question: since i always ultimately have to master everything to dvcam (don't ask) would it be wise to purchase an EX-1? If so, what would be the best and most efficient workflow yielding the best results? I have a core2duo pc with 2gb ram running both sony vegas pro 8 and adobe premiere pro cs3 and i intend to get a black magic card, either the intensity pro or the decklink standard. Suggestions and opinions would be highly appreciated.

Some people see things that are and ask, Why
Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not?
Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.

Return to posts index

Ali Jafri
Re: EX-1 mastered to dvcam
on Jul 6, 2008 at 3:17:28 am

Oh, i should add that my final master will always have to be in the 4:3 aspect ratio. Even if i maintain the widescreen look it'll have to be letterboxed to fit 4:3

--------------------------------------------
Some people see things that are and ask, Why?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 6, 2008 at 3:01:08 pm

Kind of a matter of choice. Yes it will be extra overhead but you'll also have archives in HD you can use for the inevitable moment- perhaps next year where suddenly the powers that be will realize DVCAM is a dead format and it's time to go HD.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 6, 2008 at 3:08:11 pm

Noah, when a DVCAM deck costs £4,000 and an HDCAM costs £36,000 why should that be any time soon? I get great DVCAM masters (sometimes off an HD timeline, sometimes from a rented HDCAM deck) and the quality is supurb.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 6, 2008 at 4:32:08 pm

It depends on whether you need to deliver with tape at all.

If you're doing broadcast tape you'd be choosing between DigiBeta or HDCAM.

For local cable spots I don't deliver on tape at all. I do MPEG 2 Program Streams.

For corporate video I'm delivering on DVD or web.

For digital signage I'm delivering HD with MPEG 2 Program Streams too.

What motive do you have to deliver tape?

Return to posts index

ali jafri
on Jul 6, 2008 at 3:14:02 pm

Noah, I doubt the powers that be are even interested in raising the bar, they don't even really know the difference between DVCAM and HD, it's all the same to them. So I'm thinking we're going to be using the DV format for a while yet. So I shouldn't think of getting the EX-1 should I?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 6, 2008 at 4:37:41 pm

[ali jafri] "they don't even really know the difference between DVCAM and HD"

Are you sure they'll NEVER know (or at least a couple of years away).

Are they buying the camera or are you? The purchase depends on the business model.

At what point do they notice quality at all? They could buy a good used DVCAM camera like a Sony DSR-570. That wouldn't be my choice under any circumstances at all. They may even be fine with a Panasonic DVX-100. If you want tapeless you can look at some of the new HDV cameras that can shoot SD to CF.

Any organization with even the slightest ability to look forward would be buying HD even if they're still delivering SD.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jul 7, 2008 at 2:57:56 am

[Craig Seeman] "They could buy a good used DVCAM camera like a Sony DSR-570. That wouldn't be my choice under any circumstances at all."

Why is that Craig? We have DSR-500 # 10010 (10) and it has been super dependable since day 1. It's 2/3", 16x9 and has a firewire port. We have the remote mic/monitor accessory and it still brings $450 a day. The only downside is no lcd monitor but the monitor takes care of that.

Just wondering.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2008 at 3:03:19 am

DSR 500 is a great camera. If you own it, it certainly warrants use. I just wouldn't make it as a current purchase unless I had the need, could turn a profit on it very quickly.

I mention it as a choice though for the very good reasons you mention. 2/3" chips, 16:9 which makes it great for SD needs and one may get a good upscale to HD.

Is that $450 sans operator?

The cost of living in NYC is so high . . .

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Oops, busted
on Jul 7, 2008 at 7:22:28 am

[Craig Seeman] "Is that $450 sans operat"

Make that $350 for camera alone and $450 with the kit. Stix, wireless, batts, monitor, stand...

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
And more...
on Jul 7, 2008 at 3:12:24 am

The DSR-570 has the ability to be used in a studio configuration with a CCU and it will cable directly to a portable BVW-50 BetacamSP deck. These things might not be important to you but they are very important to some others who need a more rounded application. It also accepts a studio monitor up top and the lenses use professional lens controls.

It takes small tapes and large tapes so it can record 186 minutes.

While I was writing this, I jumped into Quickbooks and found that we have collected $37K in rentals alone plus over $300k in production work that can be tied directly to the $11,000 (when new) DSR-500.

Still wondering...

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 7, 2008 at 12:25:21 am

[ali jafri] "Noah, I doubt the powers that be are even interested in raising the bar, they don't even really know the difference between DVCAM and HD, it's all the same to them. So I'm thinking we're going to be using the DV format for a while yet. So I shouldn't think of getting the EX-1 should I?"

I wouldn't know as I don't know who the powers are in your particular case. That said, with FCP or a similar NLE app editing in XDCAM HD and delivering in SD is not a ton of extra overhead and you'll be set for the future. Andwith 5K cameras on the horizon for next year I honestly believe there will be very few companies not at least aware of HD in the very near future. What's better- saying "I told you so, morons." or "No problem, we're already all set and you don't have to change a thing."

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Ali Jafri
on Jul 7, 2008 at 2:25:19 pm

Lets suppose that I'll never have to upgrade to HD from DVCAM, because that certainly seems the case in this country. It would be redundant to "think ahead" because all that'll change is software and hardware and cameras and stuff like that. The networks here will always ask for a DVCAM at the end of the day. They don't even want data files in any format, they simply want DVCAMS. They then capture these DVCAMS onto their systems to be streamed for broadcast!

Anyway, my predicament still stands. Keeping in mind the DVCAM master that I need to end up with, would it be wise to invest in an EX-1? If so, what would be the best workflow? Please don't say that HD will eventually come into being here because it won't, please don't say that I should "think ahead" because I already am.

Which camera would best suit my purpose? I currently own a Sony FX1 with a BeachTek mic preamp which suits my purposes for the time being. I don't have to downconvert or upconvert anything, i simply stay in the DV format. What benefits (if any) would I get investing in the EX-1? Or would it just be overkill for my mastering needs?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]