FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 location workflow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bevin Baddorf
EX-1 location workflow
on Jul 4, 2008 at 1:51:07 pm

I am going to have an EX-1 with two 16GB cards for a week long shoot later this month and I am trying to nail down my workflow. I will be posting everything in FCP. What I would like to do is transfer to an external drive on a laptop on location and then bring everything back at the end of the day and dump it into my Xserves and edit in FCP from that. Chances are that the laptop I'll be working with on set won't have FCP on it. Has anyone done this successfully? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Bevin

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX-1 location workflow
on Jul 4, 2008 at 3:37:12 pm

Yep- we spend about on hour on this on my DVD. :) Anyways the short of it is, backup to a RAID on set using verified copies. Keep one RAID drive as your backup and the other as your working drive. Be careful of course to have a system in place for not reusing a card until it's been copied. Turn on the write protect the moment it comes out of the camera to be safe- etc.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Jul 4, 2008 at 3:41:15 pm

Hi Bevin - I've been using the EX 1 for a couple months now, and like almost every aspect of it. On a few shoots we've rolled so much that I was transferring in the field and all worked out fine.
I would suggest you figure out a system beforehand and don't deviate from it. Things like what the files will be named, where they will be stored etc can be done on the fly for a one or two card shoot, but when you're juggling multiple cameras and cards it can get confusing fast.
I haven't had the luxury of a data wrangler on site, but I see where that would be a great help.

I copy the cards to my macbook hard drive and to a firewire external, then take a quick look at the video with the browser software to make sure all is where it ought to be. After the copy is done I go back to the card while it is still in the laptop reader and delete all clips before returning it to the camera.
That prompts a "restore media" command in the camera - hit execute and you are ready to go again.
A 16 gig card takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to copy to the laptop, another fifteen to twenty to the hard drive.
My system is to create a folder for the job, then a folder for each card, and label them something like JOB107042008card1. The last card gets a JOB107042008card5of5 or something like that so I know it is the last.
I copy first to the laptop ( I have a 320 gig drive in the macbook), then to the external. After checking both copies I delete the card and return it to the camera.
Having additional cards is important so you don't have to be hot swapping and rushing.
It is also important to give each card a unique identifier so you don't get them mixed up.
AT the end of the day I have two complete copies of all the cards. I send the external drive to the editor or off with the client (I always load the browser and transfer software so they have that too). When I get home I offload the card files from the laptop to a big honking drive and keep them on the shelf.
See- its simple!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 4, 2008 at 7:59:23 pm

Just to add a few things to Denis' sage advice:

[Denis O'Keefe] "That prompts a "restore media" command in the camera - hit execute and you are ready to go again."

This happened to me maybe twice so far but for the vast majority of card transfers I never get that prompt in the camera after using the laptop to delete the card media. Strange, since Denis and I use the same method.

[Denis O'Keefe] "A 16 gig card takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to copy to the laptop, another fifteen to twenty to the hard drive. "

I guess the time it takes to transfer will vary depending on the speed of the external drive and its connection, as well as the processing speed of the CPU (but I would suspect the latter is a minor consideration). I use a 200Gbyte FW800 G-Raid Mini with my Macbook Pro in the field and a full 16 Gbyte card takes around 5 1/2 minutes to transfer. This is when the card is inserted into the laptop's Express 34 slot. Doing a USB transfer using the camera as a deck will take far longer.

As added insurance consider locking each copied folder on your hard drive. Highlight the folder and hit Command - I or go to the file menu in the finder and choose "Get Info". in the Get Info window just put a check mark in the locked button. Now you won't overwrite the contained BPAV folder if you inadvertently drag another one in there by mistake.

Follow Denis' organizational advice to the letter.

- Don

Return to posts index

Bevin Baddorf
on Jul 4, 2008 at 8:24:19 pm

Very cool. Thanks so much for the help, exactly what I needed to know. I'll line up a laptop and drive right away.

Thanks,
Bevin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]