FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difference between SLR and film/HD video lens - and Letus Ultimate question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom David
Difference between SLR and film/HD video lens - and Letus Ultimate question
on Jul 3, 2008 at 12:14:13 am

Hello, I am hoping to clarify WHY I would need a lens adaptor product like Letus Ultimate or Redrock - especially I want to know why the spinning glass seems to be so important.

Is there a simple step up/down adaptor to fit 35mm Nikon lens to the EX1 / EX3 (or cameras of similar ilk), or is the light physics in the spinning glass adaptors essential?

I have heard mixed reviews as to how a 35mm SLR lense differs to a HD video lens or a ARRI/Zeiss PL mount lense for film cameras. Some people love the results. Others (who I suspect are more cashed up with bigger clients) would recommend against SLR lens in favour of shooting outright on film or HD video lens.

I have shot using P+S Teknic adaptor on the front of a Panasonic HVX202 with ARRI/ZEISS lenses. Wonderful images. What would I note in the picture if I used Zeiss (for example) 35mm SLR primes instead?

I am trying to establish whether I invest in a series of high quality SLR prime lenses and an adaptor like Letus Ulitmate, or whether I should get an adaptor and just hire ARRI/Zeiss 16mm/35mm film lense. What difference would I see in pictures taken between SLR and film lenses?

Look forward to your feedback.

Cheers,
Tom

Camera Operator - Editor - Motion Graphics
(http://www.tomdavid.com.au)

Return to posts index

Steven Dempsey
Re: Difference between SLR and film/HD video lens - and Letus Ultimate question
on Jul 4, 2008 at 7:26:52 pm

The main differences are going to be in the sharpness, the color contrast and how the bokeh renders.

You will also notice that lenses that are made for motion pictures will have much less breathing when doing a rack focus. The picture shifts significantly when using regular still lenses...not a huge deal if you are not racking much.

In general, particularly for the purpose of shooting moving pictures, motion picture lenses such as Cooke or Zeiss will yield much higher quality results...more even sharpness across the frame, much richer color contrast and, depending on the number of blades in the lens, much more pleasing bokeh.

Return to posts index

Rob Collins
on Jul 5, 2008 at 6:42:08 pm

As to why you get an adapter such as the Letus, it's primarily for shallow depth of field. The chips on cameras like the EX1 or EX3 are not large enough for this. The ground glass in the adapter is quite large, and so your video lens records the image off it almost like a telecine. Simply attaching a 35mm or film lens to the front of the video lens does nothing for you.

Return to posts index

Tom David
on Jul 6, 2008 at 2:33:42 am

This is good feedback, thank you.

Cheers,
Tom

Camera Operator - Editor - Motion Graphics
(http://www.tomdavid.com.au)

Return to posts index

Harcharan Singh
on Jul 8, 2008 at 5:22:32 pm

Hi,
How about LOMO FIlm lenses with DOF adapters such as LETUS and EX1 or EX3.
Anyone tested this combination
Thks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]