what a mess...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Gaertner
what a mess...
on Jul 2, 2008 at 6:24:53 pm

Hello there,

Situation

Being on a wedding shoot this weekend, I accidentally deleted a 16Gb card on my Sony XD cam, which was a disaster when it just happened...I pass you the details ...

Meanwhile, I understood these cards are recoverable if you don't record anymore on them... What I did, and used Boomerang(shareware), for recovering everything. The whole card was recovered, and I saved every files on the card on an external hard disk

Problem
How do I now transfer these files into .mov files, useable on Final cut pro. I normally use XDcam transfer to transfer my cards from the camera, but with the same program it didn't recognize any clips on my hard disk..

What is the easiest way to get my clips back in editable format(image+sound), if possible??

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: what a mess...
on Jul 2, 2008 at 7:45:51 pm

[Steven Gaertner] "The whole card was recovered, and I saved every files on the card on an external hard disk "

If you think that all the files from the card were completely recovered then place them into a folder. Name the folder BPAV. Next, put the BPAV folder into another folder and call this one whatever you want: perhaps "recovered files." Open the Sony Transfer Tool and navigate to the "recovered files" folder and open it. The Transfer app should "see" the BPAV folder and if everything is complete in THAT folder you'll know right way because your clips will all show up in the main Transfer app window.

If they don't then the original SxS Pro card directory was not recovered properly and you'll need to try a modified workflow that I've described in a previous post. You'll find that right here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/859073

Best of luck.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steven Gaertner
on Jul 2, 2008 at 8:19:46 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply don.
It unfortunately don't work..I did what you were saying and went to XDcam transfer and selected the recovered folder, but the program seemed not to find any clip or whatever???

What I have in my "recovered files" folder are the next things:

A folder named BPAV, in it 2 folders(CLPR and Raw files), and then 3 files named: tilte0204.SLV, xEDIAPRO.TMP , xUEUP.xml)

In the Raw files folder , another folder mpeg 4 files and in there all my mp4 files.
In the CLPR folder, a list of folders which contains: MP4, SMI, PPN,XML,BIM files)

Don't know how to come out of this mess, I have the possibility to talk on skype, is there a way to arrange this?

Thanks a lot,
Steven.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 2, 2008 at 9:21:17 pm

[Steven Gaertner] "have the possibility to talk on skype, is there a way to arrange this? "

Sorry, I don't have Skype. If you copy the .mp4 files back to an empty card there's the possibility that your EX will rebuild the directory by using the "restore" function. The camera will prompt you to do this. I've never had to resort to trying this myself but others have said it worked for them.

Anyway, remember that all the recovered files must be inside the BPAV folder. It sounds like you've already done this but perhaps the program you used to recover the files has created extra folders during the recovery process. I wouldn't know if this is the case just by looking at them.

My only other suggestion is to shoot some more footage, transfer the resulting BPAV folder to your hard drive and note exactly what files and folders are there and how they are contained within the BPAV folder. With that knowledge you could conceivably create a new BPAV folder and duplicate how everything is arranged but using your recovered files instead.

Sorry I can't be more helpful that this.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steven Gaertner
on Jul 3, 2008 at 3:15:41 pm

Hey Don,

I did what was supposed to do...emptied a card of 16Gb, copied every folder with mp4 on this empty card, and then restarted the camera.
Camera asked me to restore everything, what I also did. I can now see every thumbnail of wat I shot, but when I push play on a clip, the camera tells the following: media error , playback halted.

When I open the xdcam transfer program...he don't begin to scan the images and says the following: "Exception opening XDcam file(condition failure - moov existence).

How could i get these so important footage back???

Thanks so much for helping!!!

Steven.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 3, 2008 at 4:45:23 pm

If you have the MP4 and nothing else is working, use this.

http://ffmpegx.com/index.html

It'll convert the MP4 to something you can use like H264

If you have Telestream Episode Pro you'd then be able to convert it to an EX .mov but even the output from ffmpegx will work although you'll have to render in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Steven Gaertner
on Jul 3, 2008 at 5:12:15 pm

Thanks for that answer, I already tried that but no functionning...

When I open my camera, it reveals everything in the menu as thumbnail, recognize the lengt of the video the codec in which filmed(HQ 25p), and more than that, it gives me in and out point as images !!!

But it could not playback, only if I fast forward I could see some parts of the images, anbd the the camera will give me the next error message:" media error,playback halted"

On VLC, it pretend to try playing the stuff, but in my log I see no audio or video were found.

Really don't know what to do more? give it to a data recovery companyt which will charge me 380€ and not sure they'll solve it.
After 3 days of no succeeding with this problem I begin to feel out of moral force, really sad, is a small word!

Thanks for helping, I love creative cow!!!! What a miracle is this Internet...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 3, 2008 at 7:36:10 pm

If the footage is important enough I'd go data recovery. Some off the shelf data recovery applications find pieces of files but don't already recombine them properly. Hence you wind up with footage that only partially plays back. For this reason and if the footage really is worth the money- I'd try the data recovery.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

John McClary
on Jul 8, 2008 at 5:12:19 pm

Have you tried importing them into an Avid and then exporting QTs? I've found that the Avid has ingested footage that FCP could not because of file structure problems.

John McClary

"The future you can afford"

Return to posts index

Steven Gaertner
on Jul 8, 2008 at 5:23:07 pm

Hey John,

I'll try to do that, do you have an Avid near of you, so I could maybe send you one file by mail, and try like this if you have time.

Thanks for you support,
Steven.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]