FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow EX1 to FCP and mpg2 viewing clips.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vladimir Lozinski
Workflow EX1 to FCP and mpg2 viewing clips.
on Jun 30, 2008 at 9:13:59 pm

I am making viewing clips of EX1 camera clips shot in 1080 in 16:9
I need to FTP the clips as mpg2 files in 4:3 for client viewing.
I am using FCP 6 and compressor.
Does anyone have a good workflow for outputting to mpg2?

Cheers
Vladimir Lozinski.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Workflow EX1 to FCP and mpg2 viewing clips.
on Jul 1, 2008 at 12:23:02 am

Sure export to Compressor.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez
on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:22:43 am

The new version of Clip Browser, Ver. 2.0 can export clips to many different codecs' including DV (AVI) and DV RAW. It should be out very soon.

Juan Martinez
Sony Electronics Inc.

Juan Martinez

Return to posts index

Tulio Campregher
on Dec 1, 2008 at 12:24:17 pm

Hi Juan,
Why the Sony XDCAM Browser only seems to export to DV NTSC 30fps. all settings are greyed out to change it to PAL.
Also, I thought it was possible to export the XDCAM timeline back to the SXS cards or as MXF-XDCAM to the hard drive, but that is greyed out too.
Is there a workaround?

regards,
Tulio

Tulio Campregher
Media Technology Coordinator
Greenpeace International

Return to posts index

vladimir Lozinski
on Jul 1, 2008 at 2:58:32 pm

Great.
Thanks for that.
My tricky question is ..
I want to scale the image from 16:9 to 4:3 and FTP as mpg2.
I can do a number of lengthy workarounds which involve a lot of encoding to DV, resizing and aspect ratio changes.
I am curious to know if there is an efficient and quality retentive way of compressing the clip into 4:3.

Also. Good news about the upcoming clip browser software. A lot of people hanging out for that.

Cheers
Vladimir.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:04:06 pm

Not without re-rendering- it's a fact of life unfortunately. Maybe you should consider adding some machines into your system and doing Qmaster renders through Compressor. Things will compress a lot faster then.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 2, 2008 at 1:21:08 am

Do you have a KONA card? Here's our trick. Get a cable that takes two BNC and sends it to an S-Video connector on the other end. Now run the RCS outputs from the breakout box and the two bnc's that make up the S-Video signal to the front of a DVD recorder. YOu can choose, with the Kona 3, how to down convert the signal. Letterbox, crop, anamorphic.

Since you are using FTP, set up the recorder to a setting that will give you 3 hours on a disc. this will make pretty small files per minute of video but still look good. I use this method for a quick and dirty SD MPEG encode. Also, you will get AC3 audio with that, if you need it.

Now, using MPEG Streamclip, simply demux the Video VOB files to an MPEG-2 file. You can mark in and outs to extract only parts of the clip to make shorter ones.

I suppose this would work best with short clips, rather than hours of footage, but if you are looking to send hours of MPEG-2 over FTP good luck. MPEG-1 would be better.

BTW, if you set your recorder to the 4-6 hour setting it actually creates MPEG-1 clips, at least on my Sony recorder.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]