FORUMS: list search recent posts

mxf or mp4 from EX-1 in Vegas and After Effects

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robert dupper
mxf or mp4 from EX-1 in Vegas and After Effects
on Jun 27, 2008 at 7:56:04 pm

Hi guys,

is there a way to use the same files for both Sony Vegas and After Effects?
Vegas can only use the mxf's, and AE only likes the mp4's.

i'd like to get my vegas edit into AE as an AAF...

thanks in advance.

robert

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: mxf or mp4 from EX-1 in Vegas and After Effects
on Jun 27, 2008 at 8:01:04 pm

[robert dupper] "is there a way to use the same files for both Sony Vegas and After Effects?
Vegas can only use the mxf's, and AE only likes the mp4's.

i'd like to get my vegas edit into AE as an AAF...

thanks in advance.

robert"

For that sort of file exchange my suggestion would be to kick out the final sequence as uncompressed .AVI files or as image sequences. There's a law of diminishing returns once you start bouncing these fairly highly compressed archives between multiple applications and generations. I.e. quality will take a nose dive from all that re-encoding.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

robert dupper
on Jun 29, 2008 at 7:39:15 am

Thank you, Noah,

i am hoping to find a workflow, where i don't have to render in between steps. is there no way for vegas to use the mp4's, or AE to use the mxf's?
that way i could make my edit in vegas, export my timeline into AE, without rendering.

robert dupper

sony vegas
after effects
photoshop
cubase

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 29, 2008 at 7:47:48 pm

Not that I'm aware of- but again if you export MXF or MP4 out of Vegas you will be rendering- no way around that with those formats. Only way to avoid would be export to uncompressed from Vegas. Then you're essentially without further renders. The thing to wrap your head around more than anything is that the footage from the camera is compressed- no way to undo that.

The best you can do in post is not compress any further from the moment of ingest to preserve every possible bit of detail in the original footage. And going to an uncompressed format from that moment- especially when heading toward major VFX or color correction work is about the only way that works.

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]