FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1- imported to FCP audio panned center problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Palmos
EX1- imported to FCP audio panned center problem
on Jun 24, 2008 at 9:50:19 pm

hello guys, hope you are all well...

i was using my camera today to record a narration, put external mic on ch1 and internal mic on ch2.

i imported to fcp
converted those mov files to stereo aiff files using compressor (to save drive space)

result:
the L and R channels were mixed, and no matter how I panned, the ch1 and 2 were identical.

then
i loaded one of the video clips into FCP directly and inserted to the timeline

result:
what came out of L and R speakers was identical, and double clicking on A1 showed the Pan was set to 0 instead of -1, and A2 was set to 0 instead of +1. Correcting this resulted in the clip being as expected, with Ch1 on one side, Ch2 on the other.

So, whats up with that? I can only assume its a bug since converting to a stereo file should never result in a mono file, right?

Curious for your opinions...
Tx
Mark.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX1- imported to FCP audio panned center problem
on Jun 25, 2008 at 6:19:00 pm

[Mark Palmos] "hello guys, hope you are all well...

i was using my camera today to record a narration, put external mic on ch1 and internal mic on ch2.

i imported to fcp
converted those mov files to stereo aiff files using compressor (to save drive space)

result:
the L and R channels were mixed, and no matter how I panned, the ch1 and 2 were identical.

then
i loaded one of the video clips into FCP directly and inserted to the timeline

result:
what came out of L and R speakers was identical, and double clicking on A1 showed the Pan was set to 0 instead of -1, and A2 was set to 0 instead of +1. Correcting this resulted in the clip being as expected, with Ch1 on one side, Ch2 on the other.

So, whats up with that? I can only assume its a bug since converting to a stereo file should never result in a mono file, right?

Curious for your opinions...
Tx
Mark."

In Compressor encoding a stereo AIF will make a stereo downmix. If you want to keep discrete mono do it in the QuickTime player or within FCP.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]