FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 shot at 1080p SP 23.98 Transfers at 59.94

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Powers
EX1 shot at 1080p SP 23.98 Transfers at 59.94
on Jun 24, 2008 at 8:09:07 pm

So I shot my footage at 1080p 23.98. The latest version of Transfer says it is 59.94 (23.98) and puts in the 3:2 cadence. I need native 23.98 progressive frames. How do I get Transfer to NOT add the 3:2 or at least to remove it?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
Re: EX1 shot at 1080p SP 23.98 Transfers at 59.94
on Jun 24, 2008 at 8:51:42 pm

Got the answer from Sony. 1080p 23.98p SP is NOT 23.98p. It is 59.94i with a 3:2 cadence. Its supposed to look like something shot at 23.98p transfered at 30fps interlaced. That sucks. It is so consumer.
In the HQ mode 23.98p is progressive. BE CONSISTENT with the naming conventions!
This is CineAlta, not A1U prosumer. Sony please dont label something as one thing and give us another!! 23.98p should have 24 progressive images per second NOT 3:2 interlaced cadence. That should be 23.98pi or some other dumb arse designation for a format we cannot work with!!

Now how the heck do you scale down 1080i and have it look decent in SD?
Interlaced fields suck when scaled.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 24, 2008 at 9:09:52 pm

[Dan Powers] "Now how the heck do you scale down 1080i and have it look decent in SD?
Interlaced fields suck when scaled."

I've always shot HQ 1080p 30 except for one time when I wanted to match other Mini DV cameras shooting interlaced. My 1080p footage sure looks like progressive to me with one complete picture per frame and that 1080i footage sure did look different with 2 distinct fields visible.

Since your profile says you have a G5 I'm assuming you're using Final Cut Pro? If you want to edit using your delivery format I would suggest creating a progressive DVCPRO 50 Anamorphic timeline. If you look at the clip properties in the browser the field order of each media file should be set to "none". If they aren't you can right or control click in the field order box and choose "none" from the pop-up.

If you have FCP 6 you may want to consider editing in a Pro Res HQ progressive timeline. You can even edit in the native EX codec and set your renders to use Pro Res.

Drag your clips into the sequence and edit away. All my standard def EX down converts have been edited in a DV NTSC timeline to match my other cameras and the footage looks very good. No interlacing issues.

If you're editing in Premiere Pro then you'll have to wait for another reply and this tape will self-destruct in 15 seconds :)

- Don

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Jun 24, 2008 at 10:36:51 pm

I am sure your 1080p HQ footage did look progressive since it is. THe problem is that we used the 1080p SP setting for an extended record time for an event and that SP mode is field interlaced instead of progressive. Thanks sony for that inconsistency.
Right now I have applies the Nattress Plug In to remove the 3:2 and it is working out well but will add to the render.

From my experience no mater what composition settings and field settings you use in FCP or any other editor for that matter, if the source is field interlaced and you scale it down you have to options. One is to let the fields also scale down and look like crap, or to deinterlace the footage and have it basically be field doubled so you have half resolution. I have never found any application that will scale fields and have them align with where they should be in the new scaled position. It will usually field blend any time a scale is applied and your resolution will be altered. Thus the reason for wanting a progressive source. Lesson learned. Dont us the SP mode on the EX1. Rather pointless unless you are going to deliver in 1080 resolution and fields are ok.

Thanks for the input.
Dan Powers

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 24, 2008 at 11:13:57 pm

[Dan Powers] "Thanks for the input. "

Actually, I want to thank you for the heads up regarding the SP mode and the interlacing thing. Good luck with your edit, Dan.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]