FORUMS: list search recent posts

pmw ex1 snafoo

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kurt kolaja
pmw ex1 snafoo
on Jun 23, 2008 at 9:23:17 pm

Hair in the gate, clogged head, sound guy still eating lunch; these are things I understand. However what is happening when an sxs card acts up? The card claims to be "nearly full" yet it will show me no clips. I took out the card, shot another scene, and sure enough that little bugger is there all fat 'n happy. Where are all his friends?

Is it a clue to mention that I was shooting outside under a hot! blazing sun all day? I'm new at this solid state game and as yet do not know where the gremlins hide.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: pmw ex1 snafoo
on Jun 24, 2008 at 12:40:19 am

Hi,

First of all you gotta love that sense of humour of yours. I don't think I'd be much fun to be around if I was in your situation.

Regarding the card issue. I think what you want to do is force your camera to do the "restore media" routine. Restoring the media is only supposed to rebuild the directory on the card and doesn't touch the actual media. This way orphaned .mp4 files can be copied back to an empty card in the EX and the camera will rebuild the card's directory allowing orphaned media files to become "un-orphaned." as it were.

So copy the problem card's BPAV folder to a hard drive. Don't delete anything off the problem card. Put an empty card of the same capacity into the EX. Make sure that empty card's icon is on your desktop. Drag your copied BPAV folder back to the empty card. Eject the card/camera from your desktop. Hopefully your EX will now prompt you to restore the card. Click "execute".

I've never had a lost clip issue with any of my cards so this is just a "try this and see if it works for you."

Best of luck.

- Don

Return to posts index

kurt kolaja
on Jun 24, 2008 at 2:32:51 pm

Pretty darn sneaky trick Don, but alas, it did not charm the snakes from the basket.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 24, 2008 at 9:19:04 am

'Hair in the gate', wow your'e taking us all back to the days when we understood what the heck was going on! The kids today will be mystified though. Kurt, I too enjoyed your humour, let's have some more.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 24, 2008 at 5:51:12 pm

Kurt,

Sorry it didn't work out. This is new and uncharted territory for all of us, so I really don't know what else to suggest. Perhaps a media retrieval program similar to what's out there for hard drives or digital still camera flash cards.

One thing I forgot to ask you yesterday is that when you transfered the media from the problem card to the hard drive was there only one media file transfered? Typically, if a 16 Gbyte card is almost full there should be 14 or 15 Gbytes of copied media, whereas a single file would be only a fraction of that.

- Don

Return to posts index

kurt kolaja
on Jun 24, 2008 at 6:50:06 pm

Hey Don,
It was an 8g. I pulled the enite folder to the desk top, and while I didn't measure it, it didn't seem to be packing much freight.

I'm thinkin' that if this sort of thing happens every Lord Knows When I may shoot only on 8g cards. I'd be sad if I shot a ton of stuff on a big card only to have this jump up and bite me again. After all, I have been quite content with 400' mags; and while I'm at it!, I don't get all the complaining about how heavy and difficult the EX1 is to hold. What a bunch a sissies.

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Jun 24, 2008 at 7:40:17 pm

Kurt,

[kurt kolaja] "I don't get all the complaining about how heavy and difficult the EX1 is to hold. What a bunch a sissies."

Sissies? You must have tiny hands that fit that designation. (g) The bottom of the handgrip is designed poorly and rolls off in a pretty way that is a practical disaster. Instead of resting squarely on the heel of the hand, it allows the handgrip to roll into the palm of the hand necessitating cocking your wrist at an almost 90 degree angle to keep the camcorder level, which is very hard on the wrist. 20 cents more plastic and a boxier design, would have fixed things. But, hey, it's looks sleek and nice.

Ron Shook
Shoulder-High Eye Productions
CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 24, 2008 at 8:32:12 pm

Hi Kurt,

The red flag that popped up for me when I read your original post was that when you pulled that card out and then pushed it back into the camera it did record your test clip okay. This leads me to believe that perhaps the card was not seated in the camera properly in the first place. Just a thought. (But then, why wouldn't the camera tell you that the card wasn't seated properly?) My camera has, in the past, prompted me to re-seat a card.

Anyway, you may want to return that card to your dealer and ask for a replacement just to be on the safe side. One way to confirm that you've actually recorded a clip is to hit the review button on the hand grip. The default setting is to play back the last 3 seconds of the most recently recorded clip. This is one way of knowing immediately if the clip was recorded properly.

As I've said before, I have had no issues at all with cards losing media files. Maybe I've just been lucky so far. When I insert an empty card into my camera and if time permits, I hit record for a second or two, just to make sure everything's working.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]