FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Battery SNAFU

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ronn kilby
EX1 Battery SNAFU
on Jun 22, 2008 at 9:43:45 pm

My 2 week old EX1 is now unable to be powered by its own Sony batteries. Neither the 60 nor the 30 will power up the camera. Multimeter check on the battery terminals shows they're charged up to 19-21 volts! Both show 4 green lights (full). The camera powers up fine with the Sony Power Supply, or with Anton Bauer or Tekkeon battery attached to the DC in jack. Both of these batteries show 13-14 volts and the power supply shows 12 volts in the viewfinder. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX1 Battery SNAFU
on Jun 23, 2008 at 5:19:06 pm

[ronn kilby] "My 2 week old EX1 is now unable to be powered by its own Sony batteries. Neither the 60 nor the 30 will power up the camera. Multimeter check on the battery terminals shows they're charged up to 19-21 volts! Both show 4 green lights (full). The camera powers up fine with the Sony Power Supply, or with Anton Bauer or Tekkeon battery attached to the DC in jack. Both of these batteries show 13-14 volts and the power supply shows 12 volts in the viewfinder. Has anyone else had a similar situation?"

I've not heard of this specific issue but battery troubles with the EX1 are widely reported. Last I heard you could get it fixed for free by contacting Sony via the phone numbers on the back of your manual and then sending it in for an update at their service center in San Jose.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

ronn kilby
on Jun 23, 2008 at 5:27:53 pm

Thanks for that Noah - good to know. Although there are no phone numbers on the back of my manual, just http://www.sony.net do you have a number on yours?

I have a call in to B&H now, we'll see how long before they follow up. Meanwhile I went over to another EX1 owner's house and determined that my volt meter was wrong, so disregard that 19-21 volts part. My batteries are fine, fully charged and functional (on his camera) and the charger is good too. His batteries (also fully charged and functional) will not run my camera either. Which means something went south inside the camera where the battery connects.

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
on Jun 23, 2008 at 6:35:45 pm

Hey Ronn,
I don't know if B&H will be able to do anything for you, but the main number for Sony service is 201-833-5300. They should be able to assist you further with the repair.

Really, all you need to do is send a proof of purchase to the San Jose service center with a note explaining the problem and your contact info, they will take care of the warranty issue.

Their address is:
3300 Zanker Rd
San Jose, CA 95134

I have sent several defective EX-1s there and turn-around has been pretty quick

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

ronn kilby
on Jun 23, 2008 at 6:54:42 pm

Thanks a million Scot - I called and it looks like it'll be off to San Jose. BTW it's apparently 2520 Zanker Road and the # there is 408-352-8282. Keeping fingers crossed...

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 24, 2008 at 9:22:47 am

San Jose is a long way from London, there must be a song about that?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 24, 2008 at 3:48:15 pm

Ah true- then you'd be dealing with Sony Europe and their warranty service.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Jul 24, 2008 at 12:42:26 pm

Hi Ronn, I've been looking for a way to use my Anton Bauer batteries with the EX 1 ( without spending a fortune for a new AB plate). I see from your earlier post you've found a cable with the proper DC plug for the camera. Please let me know if someone is selling it or if it is a soldering job -- I have the plates, the camera and the will -- I just can't find the plug.
Thanks

Return to posts index

ronn kilby
on Jul 24, 2008 at 1:50:17 pm

Hey Denis. Here's where I got mine:
http://www.vortexmedia.com/EXDC1/EXDC1_Adapter_Cable/EXDC1.html
You can also get the connectors at RadioShack and make your own:
http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve_Cahills_Blog/Blog/Entries/2008/1/21_So...

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:40:26 pm

Thanks Ronn, I'll call vortex right away.....I tried the Radio Shack route but my local stores only had some weenie adaptors that were a short waiting to happen.
I appreciate the quick reply!

Return to posts index

ronn kilby
on Jul 26, 2008 at 8:38:55 pm

My apologies to all interested parties, I've been lax to update this thread regarding battery snafu. I sent the camera to Sony in San Jose and they repaired it fairly promptly. They replaced the power board and the camera back (I assume because the battery contacts therein were bad) and it works fine now with any and all batteries, including the Anton Bauer and Takkeons). Hope this helps - I see in another thread that some have had a similar (albeit intermittent) problem with the Sony batteries.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]