FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with SxS transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cass
Problems with SxS transfer
on Jun 20, 2008 at 5:51:11 pm

I am attempting my first transfer of material on an SxS card shot with the EX1. I am using a Mac G5 Power PC and FC 6. Using a Sony card reader I am able to transfer the BPAV folder over to my HD. I see that the clips are stored in their individual folders. However, I cannot seem to be able to import them into FC. I get an error message about needing a translation document.

Can you give me directions on how to get the clips into FC and be able to view them properly?

Since I am not on an Intel system, I cannot use the browser software. But what else am I not doing here?

Many thanks!

Brian Cass

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Problems with SxS transfer
on Jun 20, 2008 at 6:10:04 pm

[Brian Cass] "Since I am not on an Intel system, I cannot use the browser software. But what else am I not doing here?"

You don't really need the clip browser software to transfer files into FCP but you do need to install Sony's transfer tool software. You can use it as a stand alone app or within FCP. The Sony Transfer Tool will convert the native EX MP4 files into MOV files, which is the the format FCP uses. The Sony Transfer Tool app is on the installation CD that ships with your EX1 or is available as a free download from Sony's web site.

Launch the Sony Transfer Tool and navigate to the BPAV folder on your hard drive by clicking on the "Add" button at the bottom of the window. The BPAV folder MUST be inside another folder that you have named. Clicking directly on the BPAV folder will not work, so just open the folder that contains the BPAV folder. Then the transfer tool will "see" the BPAV folder. You'll know right away because all your clips will appear in the Sony Transfer window. In Sony Transfer Tool preferences choose a destination folder. Highlight one or select all of your clips and hit "transfer" at the bottom right side of the window.

That should do it.

- Don

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jun 20, 2008 at 6:54:37 pm

Make sure you have the latest version of the software too. I just did my first EX project and was having issues until I got the latest which I think is 2.7 but don't quote me.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 20, 2008 at 7:03:03 pm

[Mick Haensler] "Make sure you have the latest version of the software too. I just did my first EX project and was having issues until I got the latest which I think is 2.7 but don't quote me. "

......unless the original poster is still using Tiger, then the most recent version of the Sony Transfer Tool will not work (so I've heard) and he'll have to upgrade everything else, too.

I'm still on OS 10.4.11, Quicktime v.7.3.1, FCP v.6.0.2 and the original version of the Sony Transfer Tool. Everything works as it should. If it ain't broke......:)

- Don

Return to posts index

Brian Cass
on Jun 21, 2008 at 1:01:38 am

Thanks everyone. Your comments helped me get on the right track. I had to update to FC 6.0.3. This took much time because the old versions of FC were still on the system and interfered with the upgrade. After speaking with Apple Support, they had me trash the earlier versions and also go into the HD library folder/Receipts where I trashed more FC items. I had to reload FC Studio 2 then do the upgrade again.

Then I downloaded the Sony Transfer Tools version 2.7 ( It didn't work with version 1.0).

Now it seems to work.

Whew!!!

Thanks again,
Brian Cass

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 21, 2008 at 5:28:37 am

[Brian Cass] "fter speaking with Apple Support, they had me trash the earlier versions and also go into the HD library folder/Receipts where I trashed more FC items."

If you have to de-install FCS 2 again in the future you can save some time by using this utility program first:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcs_remover.htm

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]