FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 systems help...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Hall
EX3 systems help...
on Jun 18, 2008 at 3:18:57 pm

So we shoot broadcast and corporate video. Currently we have 3 cameras of all of which are different varieties. We have an XDCam 350, HDCAM 730, and a Canon XL -H1. Our current plan is to purchase 3 ex'3s. We do a bit of Green Screen work. I am nervous that loosing the HDCAM we will loose our ability to pull good keys. I'm looking for advice on our decision...

Does anyone have experience keying with the EX1's? In the long run will the GOP structure hurt our quality compared to the HDCAM?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
Re: EX3 systems help...
on Jun 18, 2008 at 3:56:46 pm

Ben,
The color raster of the HD Cam is what Sony calls 16:9:9. If you take a live HD-SDI feed from from the EX-3, it will be 4:2:2, which is totally comparable. While i have heard of people having success doing greenscreen by recording to SxS at 4:2:0, of course it is better to use the HD-SDI to feed and record to an XDCam HD, HDCam, or DVCPRO HD deck. Or to use an HD-SDI capture card and go straight to a hard drive. You should have minimal problems with this setup.

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 18, 2008 at 4:35:28 pm

[Ben Hall] "So we shoot broadcast and corporate video. Currently we have 3 cameras of all of which are different varieties. We have an XDCam 350, HDCAM 730, and a Canon XL -H1. Our current plan is to purchase 3 ex'3s. We do a bit of Green Screen work. I am nervous that loosing the HDCAM we will loose our ability to pull good keys. I'm looking for advice on our decision...

Does anyone have experience keying with the EX1's? In the long run will the GOP structure hurt our quality compared to the HDCAM?"

Well with an HDCAM you're also likely dealing with a better image sensor and improved optics in addition to the wider bandwidth of HDCAM. That said, I've pulled solid keys with XDCAM EX footage, as long as with any green shot footage it's properly lit. That said, as Scot points out you can bypass the XDCAM EX compression entirely by going out the HD-SDI port Sony was wise enough to put in. In that case you should be able to pull excellent keys with the right lighting and post capabilities.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Ben Hall
on Jun 18, 2008 at 9:29:26 pm

Thanks for the advice. I figured as much would be lost with the HDCAM, but the lack of unity between the three systems is driving me nuts. They're not interested in going to all HDCAM due to cost, additionally, P2 products do not have TC in, save for the full body cameras (which again is a cost issue).

In the past I used Adrienne Electronics to force sync TC into FCP for live capture, do the EX3's allow TC to travel down the HDSDI?

Mal: If anyone gets nosy, just, you know... shoot 'em.

Zoe: Shoot 'em?

Mal: Politely

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:32:51 am

We just rented our studio, complete with green screen, and one of our EX-1s to a couple doing a pilot for a children's program. When we returned at end of day, the Diva 400 mounted on the floor for the background light, had tipped over and the light was turned way down. The screen was sitting at 22% luminance. Also, they had a talent wearing a greenish/yellow dress. Knowing they were screwed, we imported the clip anyway, into Combustion and to our amazement, pulled a perfect key in under 30 seconds. The clip was EX codec and pulled from the card, not the SDI port.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:49:11 am

[Steve Wargo] "The clip was EX codec and pulled from the card, not the SDI port. "

That IS pretty amazing. Juan Martinez from Sony has always maintained that people trying to key with the 4:2:0 colour space from the EX1 won't be disappointed.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/856535

- Don

Return to posts index

Chris Clifton
on Jun 21, 2008 at 1:49:03 pm

We have shot several projects on green screen in less than perfect lighting situations and the keys are seamless. I had heard the same fears about the 4:2:0 key, but like most of the bad rumors surrounding this camera, it was false. The EX's have been flawless in 3 months of shooting corporate, sports, documentary and a tele novela. I'm upgrading to the EX3 because I do lots of two camera shoots and I want the time-code slaved---all of the other new features are just a bonus at the new price point. Good luck. You won't be disappointed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]