FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question for EX1 owners

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smith
Question for EX1 owners
on Jun 17, 2008 at 12:36:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying an EX3 when available and I have a question about the EX line that perhaps a current EX1 owner can answer (perhaps, because I realize it may not be the same on the production version of the EX3 when it's finalized)

When recording at the 35/Mb data rate to the cards, can you still send a signal out via the 1394 port that they are now calling the HDV port?

It's not that I want to record HDV, it's that I've gotten very fond of using software scopes like Scopebox. While I could do that with my tower and Kona card via HD-SDI, or with a V3HD box the same way, on many shoots less is more and it would be nice to have just a laptop to deal with.

Of course if you've had the chance to see an EX3 prototype and can answer about that camera directly, all the better!

Thanks for any input on this.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
Re: Question for EX1 owners
on Jun 17, 2008 at 1:14:37 pm

Does your laptop have a USB port?
Then what's the problem?

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jun 17, 2008 at 3:01:09 pm

[Scot Lenter] "Does your laptop have a USB port?
Then what's the problem?
"

Thanks for the reply Scot. I'm trying to see a live feed from the camera that I can monitor on the laptop. I'm not aware that that can be done via usb.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
on Jun 17, 2008 at 3:06:59 pm

Ooooh. Haha sorry but you didn't mention that. As far as I know you will need to bring some sort of capture card along then. Didn't mean to insult you, just didn't realize your application.

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jun 17, 2008 at 3:17:38 pm

No worries Scot, I should make my questions clearer. Sounds like you are right, I'll have to bring along one of my V3HD boxes when I need to get into a laptop live.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 17, 2008 at 1:23:44 pm

"When recording at the 35/Mb data rate to the cards, can you still send a signal out via the 1394 port that they are now calling the HDV port?"
No, there is only one encoder inside the camera and it can't compress two different compression levels at the same time.

My hope was that Sony would unleash the compression to the new 50Mbps 4:2:2 XD Cam level. This would be the easiest thing for Sony to do but I'm sure it would really P O anyone who stepped up for the new 700. Oh well, I'll just have to wait for Convergent Design, because they will allow EX camera owners to go beyond the HQ level with their Flash XDR HD-SDI Recorder coming out very soon. This still won't get you were you want to go because you either get HDV from the SP mode and HD-SDI from the HQ mode, but when you see the quality of what the EX cameras will do with less compression you won't be worried about HDV scopes.

http://www.convergent-design.com/

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jun 17, 2008 at 3:08:49 pm

[Michael Palmer] "No, there is only one encoder inside the camera and it can't compress two different compression levels at the same time. "

Thanks Michael. To clarify, it won't send the 35Mb stream out live via 1394 either, correct?

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jun 24, 2008 at 9:46:48 pm

That is correct...

When they labeled the 1394 port as HDV, that means ONLY 25 mbit HDV thru that port. 35 mbit stream has never come thru the 1394 port on ANY Sony camera. Now, I don't know if you can connect this to a laptop and use something like OnLocation. I can do this with the PDW-F350 camera but I can't say for sure on the EX series.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Jun 17, 2008 at 5:01:12 pm

You can only send a digital signal out of the firewire port when filming in SP mode (aka 25Mbit HDV 1080i 60). If you use the firewire output it disables the HDSDI output as well.

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:53:21 pm

Nick is correct. The EX firewire port is for HDV only. Sony's thought is that you can connect an HDV deck or camera via FW and record to that while also recording to the SxS Pro cards. If you want to record to an external device using the HQ 35 VBR setting you'll have to use the SDI port.

- Don

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Jun 17, 2008 at 7:23:41 pm

Thank you for the information everyone. There's always some trade off when moving from one workflow to another I guess. Right now on this old 1.67 GHz PB I have two SD cameras feeding two separate feeds into Scopebox 2.0, each with its own preview and waveform palettes, side by side on my screen. Quite useful!

I'll figure out some way.

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]