FORUMS: list search recent posts

what I need to go xd cam?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pearson
what I need to go xd cam?
on Jun 17, 2008 at 1:18:27 am

I've never used HD before and I'm gettting ready to make the jump. What will I need to add to my system before I get the EX1?
I have FCP 5.1.4, G5 tower, over a TB of HD space, and an HD monitor. thanks guys.

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: what I need to go xd cam?
on Jun 17, 2008 at 1:40:53 am

[Luke Pearson] "I have FCP 5.1.4, G5 tower, over a TB of HD space, and an HD monitor. thanks guys."

You need to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2 because you need Final Cut 6.0.2 minimum for editing EX footage. Other minimum requirements is OS 10.4.11 and Quicktime 7.3.1. You didn't mention what flavour of G5 you're running but others have been using 2.0 Ghz dual processor G5 machines without issue although the video playback might be a bit jerky at times.

You need to install Sony's Transfer Tool Software and the companion FAM driver so your G5 will recognize the camera when you connect it. That's all freebie stuff. Don't bother with Sony's Clip Browser software because it's Intel only. You don't really need it anyway unless you're trying to archive your footage to DVD-R and then you use the Clip Browser software to split the clips up so they fit onto the media.

That's about it I think.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 17, 2008 at 9:31:54 am

Don, with reference to your informative reply to Luke can I add some supplementaries? I too am on a pre intel Mac G5 and for that reason thought I couldn't yet ingest EX media. I am surprised to see that I could use the Sony transfer software. The trouble is my Media 100 edit system is not yet supporting Ex but plans to soon. I wanted to take in video direct through SDI which does work but the audio is embedded and my Media 100 can't yet take in embedded HD, only SD. So I go to tape first from the camera for now. Could I take in video with the Transfer application or merely the files? I heard that these files can be converted to .mov and then to video via Quick Time, is this effective since I suppose I could then use it in my current edit set up?

Thanks for any guidence you can offer, EX is a minefield until the industry sorts itself, I can't help thinking that Sony caught them all by surprise!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:32:36 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Could I take in video with the Transfer application or merely the files?"

The XDCAM EX codec resides within the NLE and not the Sony Transfer app. You could definitely import the MP4 files and the Sony app will convert them to MOV files but you wouldn't be able to see anything. The Quicktime .mov format is not a single codec. There are, in fact, many different codecs or .mov versions, if you will, that allow the picture from different cameras to be used on the Mac. Programs like the most recent Final Cut Pro versions come with the XDCAM EX codec "built in" and having THAT codec on the Mac is what makes everything work.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about codecs and how they interact with the various programs. People like Craig Seeman, who is much more capable than I in these matters has suggested that a program like the freeware VLC player can be used to view your EX clips without having to go out and buy Final Cut Studio 2 or Premiere Pro, etc. However, the VLC player shows the picture but there's no audio.

There's really no cheap solution for you while you wait for the Media 100 developers to release an update.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 17, 2008 at 9:01:31 pm

Many thanks Don. I think that I'll stick with going to HDV tape in SP mode pending further developments.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jun 18, 2008 at 5:05:41 pm

Don't let learning a new workflow stop you from progressing...

New ideas and new workflows can be very daunting, but with proper knowledge, everything will work out beautifully.

Anytime a new product hits the shelves, there will always be new workflows that are associated with them. Moving from MiniDV to XDCAM was quite a jump for us. I won't say there weren't some real headaches but figuring out our own workflow was the key.

Keep in mind... Anytime a new product becomes available, its going to require that you upgrade your editing system in some capacity whether it be software related or hardware related. Don't let this stop you from making more money.

[Michael Slowe] "I think that I'll stick with going to HDV tape in SP mode pending further developments."

This is like computers... it will never end. Further developments are occurring all of the time. You'll never reach the end or pinnacle of this. Just pick the best option for your needs.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 18, 2008 at 6:26:11 pm

Yes of course Wayne, many thanks. I am well aware that we always have to up date and it doesn't worry me too much but it is the interim workflow I was trying to arrange.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jun 18, 2008 at 7:10:00 pm

No problem...

Can you give me an idea of your current workflow and maybe I can help you figure one to help with your transition?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 19, 2008 at 9:41:02 am

Wayne, thanks but I risk boring everyone because I have posted this before. What I currently do is to shoot in SP mode on the EX1 which is as you know standard HDV (with all its drawbacks!). Previously I shot with the Z1. I now transfer as video through firewire out from the camera to tape via my M10 HDV deck. I then proceed as previously by ingesting the media into Media 100 as uncompressed HD by passing it through Convergent Design's HD-Connect. The quality is pretty good but as with all sources drops off a lot when shown on DVD. I am hoping that by shooting in HQ (1920 X 1080) the resultant DVD (still SD unfortunately) will be better quality. Media 100 needs SDI supply of media and although I could take HQ video straight from the camera the audio is embedded and my version of Media 100 can't take embedded audio with HD video.

All this will change at the end of the year (I hope!) hence my saying that these are interim arrangements for the two projects I am currently working on. Wayne, thanks for your interest.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jun 19, 2008 at 1:50:28 pm

[Michael Slowe] "What I currently do is to shoot in SP mode on the EX1 which is as you know standard HDV (with all its drawbacks!). Previously I shot with the Z1. I now transfer as video through firewire out from the camera to tape via my M10 HDV deck. I then proceed as previously by ingesting the media into Media 100 as uncompressed HD by passing it through Convergent Design's HD-Connect."

I gotcha... Let me ask you a couple of things here. Is you final product always DVD or do you also send to broadcast? The reason I ask is your workflow works for you but it could be improved upon.

Don't take this wrong but are you totally lock into editing with Media100 only? I ask this only because Media100 is making some great strides to make it back into the business but they are still way behind the curve in development. If there is anyway for you to look into going towards Final Cut Pro, all of your issues and problems that you are having would be eliminated. I'm not saying that you need new everything, just the editing software. FCP and Sony's EX1 work beautifully together. I'm not a salesperson either... just an experienced editor that used to work on a Media100 before seeing the light and we have been using XDCAM for the past three years now.

[Michael Slowe] "The quality is pretty good but as with all sources drops off a lot when shown on DVD. I am hoping that by shooting in HQ (1920 X 1080) the resultant DVD (still SD unfortunately) will be better quality. "

This all depends on the compression and the program used to create your DVDs. What are you using?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 20, 2008 at 8:55:05 am

Wayne, this is turning into a public workshop!

Actually I am locked into Media 100 - emotionally! It does all I need, mostly straightforward editing, mixes, titles, building audio tracks etc etc. It is easy to use, efficient, fast,versatile and now thank goodness, coming into the 21st century having had problems at the backe end of the last one as you found out. FCP I know does it all as well or better but I am an old man! As I say I am expecting to be able to edit media natively from the EX1 by the end of this year so no need to panic.

My favourite vehicle for showing productions is still of course tape but of necessity have to produce DVD's. These I make with BitVice for encoding (this includes a high quality downscale from HD), Compressor for the ac3 audio file, Studio Pro for formatting etc and Titanium Toast for burning and replication. There doesn't seem to be a way of persuading Sony to allow small producers to play Blu-Ray DVD's that they burn so HD DVD's are not on the menu but we can only hope. Thanks for your interest Wayne with apologies to all our fellow readers!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]