FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio ticks from EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Kimzey
Audio ticks from EX1
on Jun 16, 2008 at 8:42:25 pm

Seem to be having trouble with the audio from EX1.

Shooting with continuous recording of 40 minutes or so. It seems that after the 1st subclip on the card, audio begins to have faint ticking; this may get even worse after the 2nd subclip. The clicking seems to be periodic, though perhaps not necessarily uniform. It is viewable in a waveform of the file during quieter portions.

Anyone else experiencing this, or have a solution?

(Shooting 720p60. Using a MacPro w/latest Sony software, 2.7. Also tried earlier software and a G5 with same results.)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Audio ticks from EX1
on Jun 16, 2008 at 11:09:45 pm

[Bill Kimzey] "Anyone else experiencing this, or have a solution?"

I heard the same thing with mine until I turned the menu button off. Maybe it's related.

- Don

Return to posts index

Bill Kimzey
on Jun 18, 2008 at 2:58:09 pm

Not sure I understand this reply - what menu button? Are you referring to something while recording?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 18, 2008 at 4:49:45 pm

[Bill Kimzey] "Are you referring to something while recording? "

No. The only time I heard what you're describing is while I had the menu button activated when I was changing a shooting parameter.

- Don

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Jun 17, 2008 at 1:21:55 pm

[Bill Kimzey] Shooting with continuous recording of 40 minutes or so. It seems that after the 1st subclip on the card, audio begins to have faint ticking; this may get even worse after the 2nd subclip. The clicking seems to be periodic, though perhaps not necessarily uniform.

What settings are you using on the camera (video format SP/HQ, 1920x1080/1280x720, frame rate 50i/59.94p, etc.)?

Do you hear the ticking when previewing the spanned clip in the XDCAM Transfer window?
and/or Do you hear/see the ticking in FCP or QuickTime Player after you import the whole spanned clip to a .mov?
and/or Do you hear/see the ticking if you just import one of the 'Parts' or a subclip instead of the whole spanned clip?

Return to posts index

Bill Kimzey
on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:24:56 pm

Settings are HQ 1280x720 59.94p

There are no audible clicks in the preview of the transfer window - sounds clean at that point.

The ticking is present if the whole clip is imported, or if only a part is imported (that is, if the ticking is present in that part).

Recording with an external mic; recorded some with the mic off - the ticking appears even when recording silence, and is naturally much more obvious. It appears mainly in the right channel, and is rhythmic.

Ticking begins at the subclip boundaries (which I'm assuming is the 4GB limit from FAT 32), but may be inconsistent. On one recording the 3rd subclip is worse; on another, the ticking is present on the 2nd subclip, but disappears on the 3rd subclip.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Hans Bernhard
on May 9, 2011 at 4:38:38 pm

was a solution ever found to this problem? I am having this exact problem as described where the ticks appear only after import to FCP 7 via the XDCAM transfer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 9, 2011 at 4:57:18 pm

When you zoom into the waveform do you see spikes where the ticks are?
When you drop the clip into timeline do you accept (match) the sequence settings?
How are you monitoring the sound and have you checked for a sample rate conversion on output issue?
Have you looked at Audio Midi Setup in Applications/Utilities to examine your system output settings?
What happens if you import the clip in SoundTrackPro? Do you see anything in the waveform there?

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on May 10, 2011 at 7:14:55 am

As far as I remember, this was fixed in XDCAM Transfer 2.8.0. What version are you using?

Return to posts index

Hans Bernhard
on May 10, 2011 at 3:21:16 pm

That was indeed the problem. Updating the transfer software took care of the sounds. Thanks so much

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]