FORUMS: list search recent posts

help sought with XD CAM Transfer!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luc Majno
help sought with XD CAM Transfer!
on Jun 16, 2008 at 5:15:21 pm

Good day! Now it is ME that needs your help, folks, and I am not ashamed of telling you my mistake... Uh... Well,... here goes. I transferred all my images, video from the EX1 straight off the camera using XD CAM Transfer... Not a problem, until I wanted to put them back on the camera a few months later... It will recognize the 'folder' as a hard drive would, but it will not play the videos.
I am told this is because it cannot read Mpeg2... I have Final Cut Pro, and I can take the clips and change them into other formats, no?

H E L P .

Thanks, Yall...

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: help sought with XD CAM Transfer!
on Jun 16, 2008 at 5:28:09 pm

If you just copied the original BPAV folder during this transfer then you should be able to copy it back on to the card. If you used the XD Cam Transfer program to re-wrap the files as .mov and you didn't save the original BPAV file then the camera won't understand what to do with the QuickTime .mov file. Perhaps you can find a program to transcode back to MP4, or you may need the new PMW EX-30 deck that will encode any HD-SDI signal as XD Cam EX 35Mbps. What is the purpose for this?

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Luc Majno
on Jun 16, 2008 at 5:34:36 pm

Hello and thanks for the speedy reply... I simply moved all the clips off the cards via XD Cam Transfer, thinking I could put them back on again with no issues... I was wrong. All this is so «i can keep track of the seasons, using the camera's image-overlapping mode to line the image up. I guess I will have to re-convert the files into Mpeg4, as you suggest?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 16, 2008 at 5:43:34 pm

How did you move the clips off the card? The proper way is to copy the BPAV file to a separate folder. This keeps all the files the camera needs to play the original XD cam EX clips.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Luc Majno
on Jun 16, 2008 at 5:53:36 pm

I simply, without knowing any better, moved them, transferred them to hard drive using XD Cam Transfer, and them deleted them, sometimes more than one clip at a time, using the XD Cam Browser software...

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:14:32 pm

Just to be clear when you say moved them (because that isn't really possible) you either converted the original .MP4 file to a QuickTime .mov and then deleted the original files from the card, or you copied the .MP4 clips and deleted the original files from the card. These threads help others and it is important to include all the details.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Luc Majno
on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:18:07 pm

I am sorry. Yes, the proper word is IMPORTED. With XD Cam Transfer software, I IMPORTED the files onto the HDD. Then, I deleted them from the card afterwards.

Return to posts index

Luc Majno
on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:22:11 pm

Forgive me, but I am not sure that I understand. You say the best way is to copy the BPAV folder to the HDD. But then the originals stay on the camera? Isn't the idea to off-load the clips to empty the card? You copy the folder and then delete it from the card?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:42:26 pm

[Luc Majno] "You say the best way is to copy the BPAV folder to the HDD."

Correct.

[Luc Majno] "But then the originals stay on the camera?"

Yes, until you delete the media from the card.

[Luc Majno] "Isn't the idea to off-load the clips to empty the card?"

Correct.

[Luc Majno] "You copy the folder and then delete it from the card?"

Tht's right. You can make an exact duplicate of what's on the card. Highlight the card icon on your desktop, choose "open". There is one folder in there called the BPAV folder. Drag that to any other hard drive to copy it. Once the copying is complete you can drag the original BPAV folder on the card to your computer's trash bin to empty the card. Then you can start the Sony Transfer Tool, navigate to your copied BPAV folder and transcode the native MP4 files to MOV files for editing. If you leave the copied BPAV folder alone (without altering anything inside it) you can always copy that BPAV folder back onto the card for later use with the EX1.

- Don

Return to posts index

Luc Majno
on Jun 16, 2008 at 7:24:38 pm

So, if I am correct, by doing so, by putting the folder back on the card, it will replace the existing one on the card already? Please elaborate... or should I simply go and read the camera's owner's manual? :) Sorry for all the inconveniences...

Return to posts index

Luc Majno
on Jun 16, 2008 at 7:29:03 pm

Oh yes, and just one more thing...
If you could please help me a little further along with my conversion issue and to put the clips back on the card? That is a real big one for me. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 16, 2008 at 7:39:23 pm

I don't believe you will ever get the converted files back on the card with out the EX-30 deck I decribed earlier. There is no reason to put the clips back on the card unless you need to use the camera as a deck for a presentation or to uncompress the XD cam files using the component or HD-SDI ports to transcode to another codec. Not sure why you would need to do this? I feel like you haven't asked the real question yet.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Luc Majno
on Jun 16, 2008 at 7:44:25 pm

I need to put the clips (of winter«) back onto the card to do a time-laps clip of winter into sumeer, using the onboard ASSIGN 4 function, which has a 'last frame' freeze, and I can then align my new picture and smoothly transition from one scene to the other.

Return to posts index

Luc Majno
on Jun 16, 2008 at 7:45:58 pm

That is how I did it with the PD 150... Remember the overlap function in the menus? Same thing. I would film, and then use the last-frame-viewing to align and transition.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 16, 2008 at 8:02:02 pm

THIS IS THE REASON I KEEP ALL OF THE RAW FILES AND A COPY OF THE BPAV FILE AS AN ARCHIVE. You need to get in the habit of making new folders for each of the cards BPAV files, and keep them in a separate folder on a second drive. I think you need to post a new question asking how to match a frame without the overlay. I can tell you now that I would try using my HD editing monitor and setup the EX1 and shoot the freeze frame off the monitor as a reference, the image will be on the card to use as you planned. I may shoot a tad bit wider for the summer frame so I could make adjustments during post just to be safe.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]