FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining HD-V and HD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magnus Isacsson
Combining HD-V and HD
on Jun 15, 2008 at 2:08:25 am

Hi,
I am working on two one-hour films which were partly shot on HD-V without confirmed production funding. We are now 'officially' going into production and I have to decide whether to change to an EX-1 or XDCAM camera. The situations are different:

A) On the first film, 70% of the film is shot, and we've had to severely reduce the budget. I presume in this case it is better just to finish it on HD-V. The broadcaster will accept delivery on DigiBeta and is aware we've had to slash the budget, so is not likely to protest if it's all shot on HD-V.

B) In the second case the film is about 40 % shot, and we'd like to upgrade for the rest of the shoot. The film is shot in action in the streets etc. and subject lends itself to somr rough edges, It will also have a substantial amount of Betacam archives,
I take it from previous messages on this site that we will not have a problem combining HD-V with material shot with the EX-1 or XDCAM ? Any suggestions for what camera to buy and any particular settings ?

All advice appreciated

M. Isacsson

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Combining HD-V and HD
on Jun 15, 2008 at 4:34:01 pm

Not quite sure what you mean-"EX1 _or_ XDCAM." The EX1 is an XDCAM format shooting camera. Of course it will look better than HDV. If you can get the camera shoot as much as you can with it. HDV is a compromised format, especially with a lower end camera. Anything you can do to improve the overall look of a project by shooting with a better camera will help it out.

That said. you need to work on your post-production workflow to assure whatever shooting format you decide to go with will technically mix with the HDV material you have already. I'd advise getting a capture card from AJA to help smooth everything out and avoid a ton of extra renders as you attempt to edit.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]