The Log and Transfer plug in software utility for XDCAM EX allows any resolution of current XDCAM EX file to be easily imported within FCP using the standard Log and Transfer interface within FCP.
Works with Apple Tiger /Leopard Operating System (Mac OS X Ver10.4.11 or later) also requires FCP 6.0.3 or later
1) Create a new folder to copy dmg file to.
2) Copy file to your Mac.
3) Double click on the icon in the folder you have created.
4) Installer will launch. Follow the installation instructions.
5) Use the Log and transfer window to ingest EX files into FCP.
NOTE: XDCAM Transfer has the following advantages over Log and Transfer
Support both XDCAM EX & XDCAM Disc
Handles XDCAM EX and XDCAM Disc clips
mounting SxS & PD media at the same time
MXF export capability
Can write edited material back to Professional Disc in MXF files
Browsing/viewing are possible without running Final Cut Pro
Cache functionThumbnail information available even after ejecting the media
Can create multiple sub clips by Mark In/Out
Log and Transfer has the advantage of working directly within the standard Log and Transfer interface within FCP
[Noah Kadner]"a great way to streamline your workflow. "
I just did my first shoot where I had to offload a SxS card in the field and honestly, I can't imagine the process any more streamlined than it is. Now that I've gotten over my fear of wiping a card I just offloaded, I have to say, this is a dream....NO MORE FCP LOG AND CAPTURE HOOPS!!!
Here is my process. Let me know if it can be improved upon
- Set up a folder for each offload on a external USB drive connected to MBP
- Copy BVAP folder to the separate folder on USB drive when full
- Reformat card in camera
- Back in studio, connect USB drive to main system
- Ingest using XDCAM Transfer Utility
- Back up to DVD
My only question is how to reformat the SxS card out of the camera for continuous shooting.
The laptop I use is a Macbook Pro with an Express 34 slot. If you're using a Windows laptop your workflow may be somewhat different. Emptying an SxS Pro memory card using my Macbook Pro couldn't be simpler for me.