FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need FCP installed to use Transfer Tool

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Haensler
Do I need FCP installed to use Transfer Tool
on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:38:46 pm

I have my first EX shoot tomorrow that will require me do dump footage to my MBP in the field. I don't have FCP installed in this computer yet. Can I use the Transfer Tool or am I stuck with the Clip Browser? Is there anything I should be aware of using the Clip Browser? I'll be dumping to an external USB drive for transfer to the studio computer where FCP resides. Thanks.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Do I need FCP installed to use Transfer Tool
on Jun 10, 2008 at 5:03:27 pm

You don't need Final Cut or anything other program to dump the BPAV file. I assume you have enough room on the system drive or you have an external drive to use. It is a simple drag and drop file copy. If you want to view the clips them download the XD Cam Transfer program.
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowContent.action?product=PDW-700&site=biz_...
If you have the PCI Express slot or a SxS card reader all you need to do is drag the cards BPAV file to separate folder on the MBP. Make sure you make a new folder for each card and keep the BPAV files in their own folder and you will be good to go.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Jun 10, 2008 at 6:27:05 pm

How do you deal with clips split between the two cards Michael when you're doing it this way?

Thanks Alan

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 10, 2008 at 6:46:18 pm

email me acontact number. I'll call you
I'm out of the office on my iPhone

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jun 10, 2008 at 7:21:28 pm

Thanks for the response Michael. So what you're sayingis just treat the BPAV file like any other file I would be transferring from an external device. Next question, how do I handle the files back in the studio in FCP. Up until now I've been hooking the camera up to my studio system and using the Sony Transfer Utility for offload which makes it simple to import into FCP. I'm assuming I'll do the same with my transferred footage only instead of transferring from the SxS card on the camera, I'll be transferring the BPAV from the USB hard drive. Many thanks.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 11, 2008 at 1:47:09 am

Yes, just as you directed the software program to the SxS card from the camera you do the same to the new folder that has the BPAV file. If you get into the habit of saving the RAW EX cam BPAV files to a separate folder you will never have an issue. I usually have a backup of the RAW and import a QuickTime version to work with in Final Cut.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]