FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera to compliment EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Gunn
Camera to compliment EX-1
on Jun 7, 2008 at 8:49:10 pm

Special events are my niche and most of these events are indoors. I need a low cost HD camera to use as a static wide cam. An EX-1 is my main camera. I have been reading another site and now I hope to hear from some of you here. What are you using and what is your experience in editing the consumer formats. Seems like every camera I read about has some strong limitations....either in actual use or in editing. BTW, I edit with Edius.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Camera to compliment EX-1
on Jun 7, 2008 at 10:31:39 pm

you can't go wrong with a second EX1, but you may find a great second hand Z1 or V1 that would work well

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 7, 2008 at 10:32:53 pm

Well if you're shooting at 1920x1080 35 Mbit at 24p there's nothing that's going to match it well other than another EX1. I supposed one of the CMOS AVCHD cameras Sony makes might be close in terms of resolution but nowhere near in terms of image quality and no 24p.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 7, 2008 at 10:46:55 pm

The problem you'll find is that there isn't anything else HD in the EX1 price range or less that'll come close to matching its low light ability. That's going to be a big factor with event work.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 8, 2008 at 4:52:55 am

You might try a Canon HV20.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Jun 9, 2008 at 6:05:02 pm

We have an independent producer who went to Sudan with an HV20. His crew had an HVX-200 but they recorded to mini-DV (I tried to tell 'em) instead of P2. Nice looking but in the end the HV20 imported to FCP looks a lot better because it's at least AVCHD. In fact, it's very nice looking as it's all daylight exterior footage.

To the original poster:
Why not wait a couple months and get an EX-3 and use the EX-1 as your second camera?

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Jun 9, 2008 at 7:38:50 pm

Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I think it will be the Canon HV30 or the Sony SR12. The next problem will be editing that AVCHD format in Edius.

JoJo

Dan Gunn

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 9, 2008 at 9:09:11 pm

We're testing the Canon HF10. It's flash card based and haven't had any problems importing to Final Cut Pro with Log and Transfer utility which converts the AVCHD to Apple Pro Res.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jun 10, 2008 at 9:57:18 pm

The Canon HV30 and HV20 are both tape based HDV camera's not AVCHD.

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Jun 11, 2008 at 3:06:31 pm

Jeremy,

That really narrows my list down to the HV30. I thought the SR12 was the best choice but getting the footage into Edius was going to be a pain in the butt.

Thanks for the correction.

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Jun 11, 2008 at 3:10:18 pm

Jeremy,

That really narrows my list down to the HV30. I thought the SR12 was the best choice but getting the footage into Edius was going to be a pain in the butt.

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Jun 11, 2008 at 3:13:17 pm

Jeremy,

Return to posts index

Dan Gunn
on Jun 11, 2008 at 3:30:44 pm

SORRY about the redundant posts. There is a glitch on my part or on the forum.
Either way.......sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]