FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimal graphics card for EX1 editing on a Mac

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Joyce
Optimal graphics card for EX1 editing on a Mac
on Jun 6, 2008 at 7:51:39 pm

I am about to buy a new Mac pro & wondering if the standard ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card is OK. I hope to get a Kona 3 or Matrox MO-3 i/0 box in a few weeks as well. Any adivce would be appreciated.

I'll be getting: Two Quad-Core 3.2GHz Intel Xeon processors, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB memory, 500GB HD, 16x double-layer SuperDrive, OS X 10.5 Leopard $4,700 from Mac Mall.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Optimal graphics card for EX1 editing on a Mac
on Jun 6, 2008 at 8:42:27 pm

The graphics card doesn't make much of an impact. But the Kona 3 would be a massive use to you especially if you want to view HD-SDI to a broadcast monitor.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Jun 6, 2008 at 9:53:52 pm

Thanks, Noah,

I wanted to make a 2nd boot disk once I have everything installed and the software updates current and the EX1 transfer Software installed (which I expect to take hours). Can I just make a copy of this boot disk on an other disk somehow?

I plan on doing HD color correcting on an NTSC downcoverted signal into an NTSC WFM/VS and 13" tube monitor.

30" Dell vs 30"Mac monitor: I am impressed with the dell price wise. I likely will eventually spring for two 30" monitors.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 7, 2008 at 7:25:45 pm

Why a second boot disk? That's totally unnecessary.

I'd save up and get a proper HD monitor. It's like really useless to take an HD signal and then try to color correction on a downconvert on a SD monitor. You're seeing nothing like 1:1 on your pixels. Dell vs. Apple is not a big difference there. It's more like do your clients notice the cheapie monitors sitting on your desk. If they don't care- don't worry.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Jun 7, 2008 at 9:22:13 pm

2nd boot disk: I'm gun shy about being able to have a stable edit system. I've had Adobe PP2 and Media 100 systems that were too often crashing and want an edit system like a household appliance, stable and reliable 99.9% of the time. I was thinking a 2nd boot disk would help.

HD monitors: I have a Sony 24" which is full res 1080 x 1950 but is only 8 bit. It only displays like 7IRE to 100IRE. All else is chopped off. For example I found it is tricky sometimes thinking a color corrected shot was clipped in camera, only to find that there was more in the black or whites on the source material. Compared to a good tube NTSC monitor which can display image below and above legal video. Is there a 10bit 1950 monitor other than the new $25K Sony?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 8, 2008 at 6:03:24 pm

Panasonic makes some Pro LCD's between 5 and 10K that are quite useful for HD grading.

Noah

Return to posts index

David Cheok
on Dec 3, 2008 at 5:08:30 am

"The graphics card doesn't make much of an impact. "

Why do you say that? Isnt the real-time renders affected by the processing capabilities of the gpu?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]