FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filmig a concert

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Amador
Filmig a concert
on Jun 6, 2008 at 6:04:25 am

Dear friends,
Tonight I have to film some friends giving a concert in an small pub.
As usual will be lights pointing everywhere and all my friends girl-friends and wives shooting flashes two meters from their faces.
Any helpful experience?
Thanks in advance,
Rafael

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Filmig a concert
on Jun 6, 2008 at 6:41:40 am

[Rafael Amador] "Any helpful experience?"

Don't start drinking until you've finished the shoot.

Raf, if you're using the EX for this get used to seeing lots of half frame flashes from the rolling shutter thing when your friends start taking pictures. If it was me I'd shoot progressive and white balance with all available lighting sources reflecting off your white board. During the performance if they start using different coloured lights, so be it. Don't try to W/B for the coloured lights or your finished project won't look anything like what the original performance lighting was and how it reflected off people's faces and clothing.

Set your on-camera mic to AGC because the ambient noise floor will be so high in the pub anyway you'll just make more work for yourself trying to ride the gain controls manually while you're trying to also be a camera operator. If you had a helper in charge of the audio I'd suggest something else, but not in this situation.

That's all I can think of right now.

- Don

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 6, 2008 at 9:41:44 am

Dear Don,
If I drink is not a big problem (hopefully somebody will bring me home).
What really scares me is that the make drink my EX-1. It happens already once two me and was 1.000 bucks to repair my PD-170.
I will fallow your advice. Everything makes sense.
Cheers,
Rafael

JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 6, 2008 at 2:47:55 pm

I think it's a better idea, when dealing with stage lighting, to set your white balance to a 3200k pre-set.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Killing Flashes
on Jun 9, 2008 at 1:28:21 pm

Dear friends,
Well, I came back from the concert. Nobody poured whisky on top of my camera this time and I could drive back home by my self.
Nothing special to report except, hundred of flashes. Not from cameras, but from a diabolic Flash machine set in front of the stage. Whenever I stud behind the musicians, flashes, flashes and flashes.
I'll be checking the the flashes. The problem of the flashes is that they show up as vertical bands. They don't fill the whole field. This make look the flashes many times, unnatural.
I recorded in progressive. Then at home I've been making some test, with the flash of my still camera, recording Progressive and Interlaced. I find out that when shooting Progresive there is no much to do (perhaps CC and try to equalize the exposure in the whole field?).
But shooting Interlaced is easy to get rid of the flashes in post. Just isolating the frame and dropping a de-interlacer filter. You get rid of one of the fields, and the flash is gone.
Nothing of adaptive or smart de-interlacing. A simple one that lets you choose which field discharge and that interpolate the lines.
The process can be a bit painstaking but is very simple.
Cheers,
Rafael

JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 11, 2008 at 10:58:56 pm

Fluorescent lighting also presents a problem for CMOS rolling shutter, at least here in NTSC land. I talked to an EX user the other day who was getting black rolling horizontal bars in the VF and recorded to the card. His shutter speed was around 1/500th sec. at the time and had to go back to 1/60th sec. for the issue to be reduced to the point that it wasn't really noticeable. He said he could still see the bars slightly at 1/120 sec. shutter speed.

Something to be aware of.

- Don

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 12, 2008 at 2:01:49 am

Hi Don,
I have had problems with fluorescents only once ( I think I shoot 720p25/60) having a light but noticeable flicker.

JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170

Return to posts index

Quincy Boardman
on Dec 8, 2008 at 4:52:45 pm

Don,
I'm wondering what helps eliminate this problem? I shot an interview in a construction site and all they had were florescent lights. My shutter is set to 180 degrees and I was shooting 1080 24p so it would put my shutter at 1/48th right? I only can notice the black bars when fast forwarding through the footage. Would it be better to turn the shutter off? Set it slower? I am still pretty up in the air when it comes to shutter settings. I've been told so many different things by so many different people.

thanks

quin

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 9, 2008 at 7:52:38 pm

[Quincy Boardman] "Would it be better to turn the shutter off? Set it slower? I am still pretty up in the air when it comes to shutter settings. I've been told so many different things by so many different people. "

Hi Quincy,

I don't have a huge amount of experience shooting with florescent lighting, but I do know that the more you slow down the shutter speed the less noticeable the problem becomes. Turning off the shutter switch will cause the shutter speed to be the same as the frame rate, which is fine if you're shooting something with little or no appreciable motion. If you're shooting 24p you'll have to be really careful with slower shutter speeds so that you don't ruin a shot because of excessive motion blur.

The EX also has a Flicker Reduce mode to deal with power frequency fluctuations inherent with house lighting. You can set it to automatic, which only activates the mode when flicker is detected. Or you can set it to always being active or you can shut it off completely. There is also a power frequency setting of 50 Hz or 60 Hz depending on where you live. It might be worthwhile for you to do some testing and see what happens when you start adjusting that under florescent lights.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]