FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1: Problems converting files

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Brumfield
Sony EX1: Problems converting files
on Jun 1, 2008 at 4:52:33 pm

I have just imported all my footage onto my hard disk and have started converting everything to be edited and have ran into an odd problem. One of my cards seemed to change it's clip file name in the middle of the day. This could have been caused by my assistant changing it, but the problem now is the transfer program will only recognize the first half of the day. I was wondering if there is a way to salvage these files. I can view them with VLC, is there any other programs that will convert these files, I am at the point where I can accept a lose in quality if there is no other choice.

Thanks
'Jacob Brumfield

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Sony EX1: Problems converting files
on Jun 1, 2008 at 7:44:25 pm

How exactly did the clip change, by file extension? SMI maybe? You need to provide a little more information. You should copy the BPAV file on the card to a new folder as a precaution but I'm thinking you either have ran out of room on one card and the clip continued onto the other card or you have a clip that is larger than 4 gigs.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Jacob Brumfield
on Jun 1, 2008 at 11:20:29 pm

the files in the CLPR folder started with J_30370_01 then half way through the list the files change to JB010034_01. The second half are readable in the transfer program but the first ones produce an error.

'Jacob

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Jun 2, 2008 at 1:17:27 pm

What version of XDCAM Transfer are you using?

When does the error appear? When you first insert/add the card, or when you try to import some of the clips?

What does the error message say?

Does anything appear in the Console log?

If the error only appears when you try to import, do all the clips appear in XDCAM Transfer with thumbnails? Can you play them in XDCAM Transfer? What happens if you put In/Out markers and only import subclips?

Return to posts index

Jacob Brumfield
on Jun 2, 2008 at 4:39:20 pm

I get an error message when I import into XDCAM transfer, the program scans and comes up with an error. The thumb nails are visible but they are to the clips in the BPAV/CLPR/ folder that the program can see/read, not the ones I am selecting and trying to convert. They also say NO CODEC in black over the thumbnails.

I tried copying the file and deleting all the the "problem" files but that seemed to do nothing.

Version 2.5.1

2008-06-02 10:35:22.516 XDCAM Transfer[3314] Unknown clip format (0, 0)
2008-06-02 10:35:22.516 XDCAM Transfer[3314] GetSampleDurationFromMovieFormat: Unknown format=0

show up in console

Couldn't retrieve any properties from 'JB010036_01.MP4'

Error box message

'Jacob

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Jun 3, 2008 at 9:24:35 am

Hmm, strange.

"Could not retrieve..." sounds like XDCAM Transfer couldn't find the files it was looking for. Are they were they should be, at /BPAV/CLPR/JB010036_01/JB010036_01.MP4, JB010036_01M01.XML etc?

Just noticed you're importing from hard disk rather than directly from SxS card. How did you get your clips off SxS card? Did you copy the files using Finder, or did you use the Sony Clip Browser app (and what version), or e.g. ShotPut EX? There are other threads on this forum about problems with all three approaches...

I don't expect it will help but you could also upgrade to the latest XDCAM Transfer, version 2.7.0.

Sorry not to be more help...

Return to posts index

Eli Hollander
on Jun 3, 2008 at 2:14:43 pm

From what I read into your description ("...at /BPAV/CLPR/JB010036_01/JB010036_01.MP4, JB010036_01M01.XML etc...") it sound as if your BPAV folder is directly on your desktop, or at root level. Try putting your BPAV folder inside another folder, i.e., desktop/myfolder/BPAV/.... Each BPAV folder has to be inside another folder.

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Jun 3, 2008 at 3:16:37 pm

That's true... Jacob said XDCAM Transfer was more or less happily showing some of the clips though, so I don't think that's the problem.

I was asking was whether Jacob could find the particular files his XDCAM Transfer was complaining about:

<the-folder-on-hard-disk-for-the-card-you-copied-from-SxS>/BPAV/CLPR/JB010036_01/

containing JB010036_01.MP4, JB010036_01M01.XML, etc...

Return to posts index

Jacob Brumfield
on Jun 3, 2008 at 4:31:47 pm

Yes I can find the files, I can also view them with the VLC video player, but nothing else seems to be able to read the files.

All my other clips in all my other files transfered and converted to the readable codec, 200 gigs worth. These 9 clips are my only problem.

'Jacob Brumfield

Return to posts index

Jamie Allan
on Oct 1, 2008 at 11:10:41 am

Did you find a solution to this Jacob? Any ideas would be much appreciated as a friend is having exactly the same issue.

Jamie Allan

Return to posts index

cow
Craig Seeman
on Oct 1, 2008 at 1:06:24 pm

Why don't you explain STEP BY STEP what your workflow and system specs are?

Return to posts index

Jacob Brumfield
on Oct 1, 2008 at 4:08:39 pm

I just keep restarting the computer reinstalling the program and messing with it till it worked. I was surprised when the files started working. It seemed to be an issue with the program. I reinstalled it several times and it worked. Really I have no idea why it finally worked... sorry

'Jacob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 1, 2008 at 4:38:31 pm

Sometimes unix (which OSX is based on) runs some routines when you reboot. Sometimes it runs routines on a scheduled basis. Sometimes those things fix problems. A bit mysterious but every once in a while I too bump into an issue that "magically" fixes itself. I'm beginning to think using MacJanitor (or the equivalent) periodically is a good thing if you're not keeping your computer on 24/7 (as certain unix routines might not run on schedule otherwise).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]