FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading to HD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry A. Davis
Upgrading to HD
on May 31, 2008 at 6:32:35 pm

I have a couple of questions as a newbie to HD. Not OT. We have a dual 2 Gig G5 with 2 GB of ram, FCP Studio (have Leopard and FCP V2, not yet installed), Photoshop, and AE Pro. We just bought a Canon HV30 for use as a compact travel HD/still camera, and to work out issues for acquiring a pro HD aquisition/editing/post solution. The intended work is corporate, TV documentaries and Indie cinema production. The strongest candidates for pro camera are EX1 or EX3. It would be nice to consider the Canon for B-roll to the EX.
1) What is the best codec(s) for the timeline for HDV, Canon 24P/30P, and XDCam EX files, and is our G5 fast enough to edit the files?
2) What is the best way to monitor the HD output from FCP for editing and color correction? (I am undecided between a HDTV and a computer LCD, with some sort of output device from the G5)
3) I have been told that ProRes422(available in FCP V2?) is very efficient and file sizes are small. How big and fast does storage have to be, given the appropriate codec(s).

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Upgrading to HD
on Jun 1, 2008 at 10:55:31 pm

[Terry A. Davis] "1) What is the best codec(s) for the timeline for HDV, Canon 24P/30P, and XDCam EX files, and is our G5 fast enough to edit the files? "

Probably ProRes. Yes, your G5 should be fine for editing in this codec. Keep in mind that G5's have been used for editing uncompressed 8 and 10 bit codecs for years without issue. The key here is to have the fastest hard drive array you can afford, 5 drive minimum, 8 drive arrays even better.

[Terry A. Davis] "2) What is the best way to monitor the HD output from FCP for editing and color correction? (I am undecided between a HDTV and a computer LCD, with some sort of output device from the G5) "

For Mac people I would have to recommend the Matrox MXO. With this you can monitor broadcast quality for colour correction/grading using an Apple 23" Cinema HD Display.

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo/

[Terry A. Davis] "3) I have been told that ProRes422(available in FCP V2?) is very efficient and file sizes are small. How big and fast does storage have to be, given the appropriate codec(s).
"

As I eluded to in my first answer, a SATA array formatted with RAID 5 would be preferable.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]