FORUMS: list search recent posts

Schneider/Century Optics .75x Wide Angle Adapter for the EX1 Recalled!!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Torv Carlsen
Schneider/Century Optics .75x Wide Angle Adapter for the EX1 Recalled!!
on May 17, 2008 at 12:31:30 am

Today I received my .75 Schneider Wide Angle Converter from B&H Photo/Video. I wanted to check some technical specs so I went to the Schneider Optics web site - http://www.schneideroptics.com/century/dv/ex/ex.htm - where I had originally seen the lens adapter after first seeing it at NAB last month. Oddly enough, I couldn’t find it on the web page that I had bookmarked so I called Schneider/Century in LA and learned that yesterday the company has withdrawn the piece from the market and are actively recalling all units that are currently in the retail channel. The woman I spoke with said that they had discovered some rather significant optical anomalies. She went on to say that the company is urging anyone who has already bought this unit to contact your retailer and return the unit. The woman at Schneider/Century I spoke with said that the company is currently working on addressing the problems in this model adapter with a updated version, but that they are several months away from solving the problem.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Schneider/Century Optics .75x Wide Angle Adapter for the EX1 Recalled!!
on May 17, 2008 at 1:48:19 am

This an important piece of info for all EX owners who've ordered or are considering this Schneider adapter. Thanks for posting this, Torv.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 17, 2008 at 2:01:18 am

I purchased the .6X wide angle HD adapter, it is not the zoom through
0HD-06WA-EX1
I haven't really needed to use it yet but now I will call Schneider Optics.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 17, 2008 at 2:08:44 am

[Michael Palmer] "I haven't really needed to use it yet but now I will call Schneider Optics"

When you call keep in mind that it's the .75 that's been recalled and not the .6. That one is still up on the Schneider site.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 17, 2008 at 2:27:35 am

I noticed at NAB that even the .6X didn't seem to work that well. I understand that I don't have the same .75X adapter but want to open up a communication line and find out if the EX1 lens and/or firmware issue cause problems for any of their wide angle adapters. I think I'm going to send my EX1 in for the firmware update next week.

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on May 17, 2008 at 10:22:14 am

I recently took delivery of .6x & 1.6x Schneider adapters & find the .6x a real problem with focussing. I followed the instructions regarding focus & macro settings on the EX1, but still the camera has trouble achieving focus, & ones focussed it pops in & out occasionally?

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 17, 2008 at 10:42:30 am

Lucky me. Two weeks ago I've placed an order for a tripod and the CO .75 Wide Angle.
The vendor mistook the order and didn't sent the lens.

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 17, 2008 at 7:31:07 pm

[Michael Palmer] "I understand that I don't have the same .75X adapter but want to open up a communication line and find out if the EX1 lens and/or firmware issue cause problems for any of their wide angle adapters."

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this, Michael. Whatever the reason for the poor performance of the Schneider/Century .75 adapter I think that it caught the manufacturer off guard. Normally their products are beyond reproach and it may well have been an out of alignment EX they were using for development that created these issues in the first place. Who knows. Also, if one factors in the idea that many of the production EX cameras had different lens alignment issues there would be different results depending on what condition one's own EX camera was in. I don't envy the task that the manufacturer's QC team has ahead of them.

I did have the Schneider .75 adapter on order but it never arrived before the recall. Interesting though, that my Sony .8 adapter works well. I just hate having that little tulip shade glued on to the front of it. Sort of precludes any use of a matte box, doesn't it?

- Don

Return to posts index

Buck Forester
on May 19, 2008 at 6:13:42 pm

Hey Don, with the Sony .80x adapter, are you saying the lens hood is fixed? Is there no way to use a GND filter up against the glass with that one? If that's the case, I can't use it because much of my stuff will be shot with GND filters and I want to go wide.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 19, 2008 at 8:00:19 pm

[Buck Forester] "Hey Don, with the Sony .80x adapter, are you saying the lens hood is fixed?"

Yes, the tulip shade is actually glued on to the lens body. Some people that have the Sony adapter are removing or cutting it off (somehow) so they can use it with a matte box. Also, there are no filter threads on the front of it, either. Have a look:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachment.php?attachmentid=6803&d=1206648166

- Don

Return to posts index

Buck Forester
on May 19, 2008 at 8:21:28 pm

That seems odd, the only way to shoot with this adapter is bare lens? Well, I'm not buying that one... thanks for the heads up. I hate to have to go the 35mm adapter route to shoot really wide, but I may have to if it's my only solution.

Return to posts index

Buck Forester
on May 27, 2008 at 8:18:25 am

I'm confused... I looked up the Sony .8 wide angle adapter at B&H and it's showing the hood and lens separate. Is this a new change, or are they showing it like this so you can see the hood and glass separate even though it's glued on?
Here's the link http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/526428-REG/Sony_VCL_EX0877_VCL_EX0877...

Return to posts index

Torv Carlsen
on May 27, 2008 at 3:19:58 pm

Yeah, it's a very misleading picture. I actually ordered one of the Sony WA adapters because like you, I saw that the sunshade was a separate piece in the photograph (by the way, that is the "official" photo on the Sony web site as well). When I received the unit the sunshade was definitely not removable and entirely fixed. I returned it forthwith!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 28, 2008 at 2:32:48 am

If you'll notice the "disclaimer" at the bottom of the B&H picture that says: "Actual appearance may vary."

No kiddin'.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]