FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving EX-1 in Bluray

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Amador
Archiving EX-1 in Bluray
on May 16, 2008 at 1:55:01 pm

I have started to put my rushes in Bluray disks.
Disappointed only because the 50GBs are in the end a bit more than 46GBs.
A disk it takes one hour and half to be burnt. So writes some 9MB/s.
For reading is great. Reads also some 9MB/s, so you can play the footage from the disk as smooth as you would be playing from any HD.
With this speed you can download the movies in half of the real time.
Happy with the experience. Just waiting for the media to get cheaper.

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Archiving EX-1 in Bluray
on May 16, 2008 at 10:57:24 pm

It's not a bad workflow- cheaper than LTO though not nearly as fast. I'm still waiting for the ultimate long-term storage solution: fast, vast, cheap and robust.

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Navarro Parker
on May 16, 2008 at 11:14:15 pm

I have found Dual-Layer DVD+R holds just enough to hold an 8GB SxS card. It's far more cost effective at less than $1 per DVD DL disc. And it's nice that there's a 1:1 correspondence between card and disc (one card = one disc). Makes for easy retrieval later. Also makes it easy and cheap to make multiple backups.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 17, 2008 at 4:41:34 am

Yeah. I went to Bluray because I couldn't wait for a wonderful solution. So far I have some 120GBs stocked, or in the process.
LOT is for sure a more professional solution, but think that soon everywhere will be BR players so will be easier to access your footage everywhere.
The advantage over the DL DVDs is that you needs a BR disk for every 5 DVDs.
For retrieval, since years I've been doing small size clips (first in Sorenson then MP4 and now in H264) that I keep in an external HD.
I use as well the "Spotlight Comments" (in the Info window) to put some key words. This works like a cheap but very effective data-base. You just type the word in Spotlight and find the clip.

JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on May 21, 2008 at 4:43:57 pm

We are also planning on putting our eggs in the BluRay basket.
We are planning on using a Sony Vaio in the field with a SxS card reader and Blu ray burner.
I am curios, which Bluray burner are you using and is it connected to a Mac?
Thanks.
David

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 22, 2008 at 2:58:27 am

Hi David,
I've got the LaCie d2. It have FW400 and USB2 connexions. Those are fast enough for writing and reading.
The same that recording a Data DVD, but a bit longer.

JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on May 22, 2008 at 3:25:04 pm

Thanks for the info Rafael.
I have the LaCie d2 on order and will use it to read the BluRay discs I created in the field with the Sony Vaio.
As of now the drive has been on order for over a week and the shipping date is unknown, but glad to hear it is working for you.

Return to posts index

Xavian Master
on Aug 4, 2009 at 9:45:46 am

Hi just saw your post. I would not recommend using your lacie drive for this purpose. Please invest in a G raid drive or higher if your budget allows.
Best
XM

Xavian Master

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 23, 2008 at 1:09:10 pm

I thought it critical to point out that +R DVD DL rated at 8.5GB actually holds 7.95GB. This means if you use the Split feature to Split a 16GB SxS card in the Sony Clip Browser set to 8GB, the 8GB will be TOO BIG for the DL-DVD. You must manually set the size to 7.9 to assure your bigger split folder will fit on the disc.

In short 8GB does NOT fit on DVD DL. They hold 7.95 and you must set Sony Clip Browser to 7.9GB manually to assure a split 16GB card will fit.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 23, 2008 at 10:15:17 am

Sounds interesting. Can I ask whether it would be possible to take HD video from the Blu-Ray archive disc into an edit system directly? My Media 100 cannot take media from the EX1 and I have to go to tape first. I would lose less quality staying in full HD and taking media from the Blu-Ray wouldn't I ? Problem is it would have to be SDI and I don't suppose the Blu-Ray could do that ?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on May 23, 2008 at 2:21:16 pm

It is my understanding that the BluRay backup disk will contain the EXACT files from the SxS cards in the folders created by the camera. The BPAV folder. It is also my understanding that I will just copy the BPAV folder to a hardrive and then burn to disc with no need for extra software (Sony Transfer, Viewer, or Browser) I am just using the USB out of the camera, unless you have a laptop with a card reader than you may need SxS card reader software (not sure on this). The browser software would be nice to view your footage. I don't think the Viewer software works on a PC.

When you want those files into your edit system, if you use FCPro, use the transfer software and point it to the BluRay disc. Of course this needs to be a BluRay disc drive connected to your system, internal or external.

With Media 100, if the transfer software doesn’t work, all I can think of is to playback the files off the card (thru the Camera) and capture via HDSDI. If you dumped the media off the cards and put the media onto BluRay because you needed the cards, you’d have to put the media back onto the card for playback thru the camera.

Or find somebody with a FCPro system or maybe Vegas or Avid would work. Transfer the files to MOVs, then burn to disc and import into your system.

I don’t think playing the video files back off the BluRay into your system will work, but I could be wrong.
I also don't like the idea of splitting up cards or putting a single card contents on different disc, but maybe this works.

I guess I would be tempted to but a 16 gig card contents and say maybe 6 or 7 gigs from an 8 gig card together on a 23 gig BluRay disc.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 25, 2008 at 7:45:35 pm

Thanks for the explanation David. Video onto Blu-Ray for storage would be no good for me as I'm shooting documentaries with large amounts of footage. Directly into Media 100 in HQ can't be done with my version as I can't take embedded audio. So I'll go to HDV tape for the time being thence to HD and wait for the EX 1 support in Media 100.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on May 27, 2008 at 3:49:23 pm

Sorry to hear it won't work.
Bear in mind I am not an expert and have only just began to use this work flow. Hard drive storage and back up might also be a solution, just please duplicate your data.
Hopefully Media 100 will support the XDCAM EX footage soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]