FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM-EX/SxS Problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Perlmutter
XDCAM-EX/SxS Problem
on May 16, 2008 at 3:15:35 am

I just some live footage with xdcam ex-1 and I now unable to see any clips. I can access the BPAV files and they are big - 8GB and 5GB but when I use the transfer software it tells me I have no clips. Also, when the cards are in the camera it tells me there are no clips but there is something there. There was nothing weird going on while recording and yes, I did hit the red record button. I suspect it has to do with the overlapping when it went from one card to the next. Pardon my french but am I fucked? Is there anyway to get at the media or is it jumbled into giant mess? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
Re: XDCAM-EX/SxS Problem
on May 16, 2008 at 10:25:28 am

Choose the folder above the BPAV folder.

FYI: There are a lot of posts regarding this "problem". See the related threads below.

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Canon XH A1
iMac Intel
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

gary coler
on May 16, 2008 at 10:50:56 am

try putting the cards back into the camera and attach your editor to the HSDI port and press play on the camera and capture on your system.
good luck
gary

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 16, 2008 at 2:01:20 pm

Can you tell us what size cards and what manufacturer, and what version of either Clip Browser or XD Can Transfer software you are using? Also what format was recording and what frames rate? When was the last time you deleted clips or reformatted these cards, was this done using the camera? Is this a rental unit? What firmware version is running on the EX1?
The reason I ask is to better understand what you are up against and the more details could possibly help you find the solution you need.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Perlmutter
on May 16, 2008 at 10:32:29 pm

I was using 2-16GB SXS Pro cards from Sony and the camera and cards are mine, not rentals.
Recorded at 1080 60i (SQ). I had recently deleted one card using the camera and the other card was new.

That being said, I did resolve my issue. I had changed some of my BPAV folders names because I had so many - BPAV-1, BPAV-2 etc... When I renamed them back to BPAV the transfer software recognized the clips and I was able to import without issue. I also did download the new transfer software, 2.7. Which may or may not have helped.

In any event, I will chalk this up to User Error, again! Thanks for you assistance.

mp

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 16, 2008 at 10:59:52 pm

Wow- just wanted to comment that I thought the Cow had a profanity filter but I guess it's just that most Cow members have enough decorum to avoid the r-rated language... Anyways back to the question, I'd go with the latest drivers, OS, etc as the problem.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 16, 2008 at 11:15:06 pm

His describing word is extremely accurate. I'm not so worried about him calling himself names as I am about what went wrong and if it can happen to me. I was hoping he would post back all the details.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Perlmutter
on May 17, 2008 at 12:41:25 am

Michael, Hey! I actually posted the details earlier but it hasn't seemed to make it up there yet so I apologize if I'm doubling up. Here goes - I was using 2-16GB SXS Pro cards by Sony. One I had deleted info from recently using the camera and the other was brand new. All the gear is mine, not rentals. Not sure what firmware.

I was able resolve my issue last night. I had been changing some of my BPAV folder names to BPAV-1, BPAV-2 because I had a bunch of files from different days of shooting. In any event, I went back changed the folder names back to BPAV, downloaded the new version of File Transfer software and it was able to recognize the all my clips. I still was not able to play the clips on the camera, which I haven't figured yet but so long as I was able to import everything I was actually able to sleep last night. And I apologize for my "lack of decorum". I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, it was crunch time and I thought I lost 3 days of shooting. The Cow always comes through for me and meant no disrespect. mp

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 17, 2008 at 1:19:50 am

Good to hear,
What I think I'm hearing is that you aren't making a new folder for each card and placing the BPAV file from that card into a new folder. It is important not to just drag and drop the BPAV file in with others BPAV files. You really need to keep them separate and never change the BPAV file NAME as you say you did to BPAV-1, THIS IS A NO NO.

Make a new folder like card #1 and them dump the BPAV into it, and so on.....

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on May 18, 2008 at 1:03:31 am

I think it's worth repeating that when it comes to that sacred BPAV folder: Nest it but NEVER rename it. And don't touch ANYTHING within it.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 17, 2008 at 9:39:50 am

Come on Noah! I can imagine how he felt and what better way to describe it. We are all grown up here and all get frustrated by technical problems interfering with our creative processes.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 17, 2008 at 7:42:45 pm

[Michael Slowe] "We are all grown up here and all get frustrated by technical problems interfering with our creative processes."

I may get older but I'll never grow up.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 17, 2008 at 8:46:24 am

[Michael Perlmutter] "Pardon my french but am I . . .? "
I don't think that's french. I think it actually came from Germany, as in "frikkin". It just kind of blended in with something with a similar sound.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]