FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question EX1 owners - EX1 File Names During Filming

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Haywood
Question EX1 owners - EX1 File Names During Filming
on May 13, 2008 at 7:50:31 pm

Hi

Shooting with EX1 next week, question for you.

filming series of quick succession interviews with multiple people.
I need camera op to be able to communicate after interview is over to the producer the name of the file that has been put to the sxs card, for example

Jo bloggs interviewed, cam op says to producer post shoot "c_0032.mov"
She then is able to record persons name along with the file name, so when it goes to separate editor on fcp in next room, he knows that c_0032.mov is Jo Blogs.

Long question but simple if you have access to camera prior to shoot,,,,,, which i dont.

thanks in advance

Haywood

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Question EX1 owners - EX1 File Names During Filming
on May 14, 2008 at 2:38:56 pm

But what's the question?

I think it would be awkward to use clip names during the shoot. You can set the clip naming in the camera so that's not an issue. The problem is unless you keep going back to the menu it's very easy to lose track of the clip name. You could go into media playback on the camera to check that but that's awkward too.

Easier is to use Time of Day (Clock) time code and sync it to your watch. Then you can just say Joe Bigg's interview starts 12:42:30 and the time code in the NLE will match the time on your watch. With Clock time code, once synced to your (the producer's, etc) watch no one needs to look at the camera. When subjects starts talking, look at your watch and note the time. Nobody needs to talk to each other at all other than hearing "rolling" or some such.

Return to posts index

Simon Haywood
on May 14, 2008 at 2:45:13 pm

Hi Craig

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

I just thought/hoped there might be a more technical way of doing it, as there will only be one clip generated on the card per person interviewed. So when the editor gets his clipboard with the list of names and corresponding clip file names, there is nothing to go wrong, he also doesn't have to keep checking the 'time created' of each clip.

My question is, if you are in record mode on ex1 can you see on the screen what filename you are currently writing, and if not, why not? That seems such a simple thing to ask for.

Thannks again in advance

S

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 14, 2008 at 3:35:04 pm

[Simon Haywood] "he also doesn't have to keep checking the 'time created' of each clip. "

Huh? TIME CODE. All professional NLEs read time code.
Import clips. Sort in Time Code order. DONE.

Clock Time code matches the time the person starts speaking. Matches what your watch shows. You don't even need to bother the DP. Subjects moves mouth, you look at watch and write down time. Editor see time displayed in NLE. EASIEST way to do it.

Clip names aren't displayed on LCD although you can get them from menu or playback but THAT'S awkward. Time code is displayed on LCD but with Clock Time you don't even need THAT.

Return to posts index

Simon Haywood
on May 14, 2008 at 3:40:37 pm

Thanks again Craig

What if we are not using FCP and we are taking the clips right off the card trimming in & out with QT and encoding direct, without ever going to NLE.

Yes TCode would be an option were we going into fcp, I take it the answer is no though, one cannot see clip name on viewfinder.

Tcode it is then.

Not sure why this isnt an option. I know its not an option that everyman and his dog wants, but im not asking for blood, just a bit of info that is clearly in the system somewhere, just not visible until in post.

thanks

s

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 14, 2008 at 4:00:01 pm

You don't need FCP to read Time Code. Sony Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer Tool read time code. Both have some logging features but Transfer Tool is better.

It might be interesting if something like User Bits (which can be displayed) could be used to display clip number so that it would advance for each clip though.

In Media Playback mode it can display the Clip Name in Clip Info but one would have to switch to that and back to Camera mode which is awkward.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]