FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error while exporting directly from FCP timeline to XDCAM

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mac cebu
Error while exporting directly from FCP timeline to XDCAM
on May 9, 2008 at 3:42:23 pm

Hi,

We have this on/off error while exporting from FCP to xdcam, our editors mostly are editing to an xsan and using an OpenDirectory account. Mostly we will transfer the finished projects to an xdcam disc for broadcasting it later.

Everytime we export directly from FCP to xdcam we encounter similar error like this:

make sure your setting on the sequence match the xdcam deck setting.

all our sequence settings are on xdcam hd 1080i which you can select on the easy setup of FCP. Also all the audio outputs are set to dual. All the projects are around 50-70 minutes but mostly 50 mins. All the footage on the projects files are on XDCAM format and some .psd files for lower thirds

when we start to export sometimes it goes around 70-90% and then suddenly it generates an error mentioned above.

sometimes it will export normally.

can someone help regarding our XDCAM error woes.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: Error while exporting directly from FCP timeline to XDCAM
on May 10, 2008 at 3:04:41 am

what directory are you using for the temporary export cache?
what happens if you export these same clips to the desktop rather than writing directly to disc?
if it exports ok to desktop, try drag and dropping the exported clip to the XDCAM disc CLIP directory (ie finder based copy)

Return to posts index

mac cebu
on May 10, 2008 at 1:29:38 pm

what directory are you using for the temporary export cache?

the directory cache is the default one, i cant remember the path but when i get back to the office i'll post it here.

what happens if you export these same clips to the desktop rather than writing directly to disc?

exporting to the local disk or into xsan works perfectly no issues encounter but exporting it to the xdcam disk from fcp to xdcam disk uding firewire generates an error mentioned above

if it exports ok to desktop, try drag and dropping the exported clip to the XDCAM disc CLIP directory (ie finder based copy)

is that really possible? i think its not, the disk when mounted on the desktop is in read only mode, because if it is possible that would be really a great relief for us.

by the way the xdcam format is the XDCAM the optical disc not EX.

thanks for your response

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 11, 2008 at 8:26:23 am

[mac cebu] "the directory cache is the default one, i cant remember the path but when i get back to the office i'll post it here. "

the default cache location is the system disc ... make sure you have sufficient disc space in this location

[mac cebu] "is that really possible? i think its not, the disk when mounted on the desktop is in read only mode, because if it is possible that would be really a great relief for us."

It is possible. The root level of the mounted XDCAM disc is locked of course, but the CLIP folder is not locked, it is read/write. Please note though, that just because this direct transfer method is possible does not mean it is guaranteed to work ... chances are that if the clip will not export to disc via XDT then it may not transfer via finder copy either. (Behind the scenes, this is what XDT is doing anyway ie writing a temp copy of your sequence/clip to the cache folder, then initiating a copy of that cached file to the XDT disc, then deleting the cached file)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]