FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up SxS cards in the field

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark S Copley
Backing up SxS cards in the field
on May 5, 2008 at 6:10:00 pm

What means are people using in the field for backing up the cards. We do hunting and fishing shows and are out all day long and need a battery powered way to back-up. We also shoot lots of footage so we need a lot of storage. We saw the companion at NAB at Sony's booth but was wondering if any other options exist?

TIA

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Backing up SxS cards in the field
on May 5, 2008 at 6:56:35 pm

The SxS cards are to pricey to have enough to hold a day of the media on and most laptop storage is under 200 gigs, so then it seems you will need a power source to operate and external drive to dump the files to. An external drive would be the most economical but I want you to consider a new product coming out from Convergent Design that will record HD-SDI to compact flash cards. http://www.convergent-design.com/
I had the pleasure of helping Mike Shell at the CD Booth at NAB and I believe this new XDR Flash recorder will solve some of these issues. It is a powerful tool that allows you to determine the compression level from 19/25 Mbps HDV to 160 Mbps 4:2:2 All I-Frame. The great thing is that these cards are extremely affordable. Take a look and let me know if this is the right tool for you.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
No 1080p/30 ?
on May 6, 2008 at 10:11:19 pm

It looks like a terrific idea. However it appears this will not record the top quality setting on the EX-1, 1080p/30. Will it be coming soon?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: No 1080p/30 ?
on May 9, 2008 at 2:27:43 pm

Ted
It will record below and above the 35 Mbps HQ setting of the EX1. What is great is that you choose the compression level for your needs.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Mike Schell
Re: No 1080p/30 ?
on May 9, 2008 at 10:54:08 pm

Hi Ted-
Just to further elaborate on Michael Palmer's post, the Flash XDR does support 1080p30 as well as 1080p24. You can feed the HD-SDI signal directly out of the EX1 and we can record at bit-rates up 100 Mbps 4:2:2 Long-GOP or 160 Mbps 4:2:2 I-Frame.

More info, including comparison images available at our web site.

Mike Schell
Convergent Design

Return to posts index

KEITH BEAM
on May 9, 2008 at 2:21:03 pm

Please dont follow my lead. Here at Double Bull we have unfortunately found that if you dump the cards to an external hard drive you may not be able to recover them into Clip Browser. If you load immediately through the clip browser then export them as mfx files you can work with them.

I can not get any of our clips from the external hard drive to import either into my AVID studio or our new Matrox Axio system. MP4's are not accepted.

If anyone has a work around let me know.

Thanks

Beamer

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 9, 2008 at 2:42:14 pm

IF you copy the entire BPAV folder to a separate folder on the hard drive you will have every file needed to transfer the media. What you need to do is keep a separate folder for every BPAV folder, and never mix these BPAV folders in a folder. If you just copy the clips you will have issues.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Colin Richards
on May 13, 2008 at 3:46:06 pm

I also had a problem where I was unable to ingest footage from my external drive into FCP.

What I did to get around this problem was to export the files back to the SxS card. Once the files were back on, I used the camera and started to record on the remaining space. I think doing this created a new list for FCP to refer to so the ingestion process would work.

Of course this only works if you didn't tamper with original BRAV folder.

Hopefully this made sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]