FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to dump ex1 card to usb drive on location

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arnljot Bringedal
how to dump ex1 card to usb drive on location
on May 2, 2008 at 12:22:02 pm

Hey!

If I would like to dump the ENTIRE card to an USb drive, how would this work?

I intend to not use the transfer tool into final cut , until later, and then from the dumped material on the USB drive.

Is this possible?

Do I need to make a disk image from each card onto the drive ( DMG ) - or simply copy all folders from the card? Are there hidden files?

Anyone doing this?

Thanks guys!

*** Norwegian videojournalist & Editor***

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: how to dump ex1 card to usb drive on location
on May 2, 2008 at 12:48:34 pm

That USB drive going to be hooked up to anything like a laptop?

You can copy the BPAV to a folder (don't DARE touch the contents by hand. You can use Sony Clip Browser for that too. You can use ShotPutEXpress. What you have to do is keep the BPAV folder intact and NOT accidentally erase or otherwise corrupt the content. Make a SEPARATE folder to put each BPAV folder in from the cards.

Return to posts index

Arnljot Bringedal
on May 2, 2008 at 3:40:28 pm

Laptop yes.

Thanks.

Just to make sure:

Make a new folder on the usb drive - and give it a unique name.

>Copy the BPAV folder into the new folder with the unique name.

Can I then use Sony transfer to browse the USB location?

*** Norwegian videojournalist & Editor***

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2008 at 4:22:05 pm

There's Sony Clip Browser and Sony XDCAM Transfer. Two different tools. Making sure you're not confused about that.

On the Mac
Sony Clip Browser can create folders, copy BPAV, Split 16GB to 8GB folders if needed. It only runs on Intel Macs.

Sony XDCAM Transfer tool rewraps the files to .MOV for Final Cut Pro. It's Mac only and runs on both PPC and Intel Macs. It does not copy BPAV folder, it creates new MOV files. You must have Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 or higher to have EX codec to actually SEE the video but it can convert "blind" to MOV. FCP is providing the codec to view in this case.

On Windows
Sony Clip Browser is as Mac Sony Browser with the addition that it can rewrap files to MXF.

On Both Mac and Windows
ShotPutEXpress seems to be designed specifically for easy folder creation and management while copying BPAV folder.

On Both Mac and Windows
You can copy the BPAV folder by hand into a work folder. Create a separate work folder for each BPAV (SxS card). NEVER rename a BPAV folder. NEVER touch or alter the contents of the BPAV folder.

Just to clarify
Clip Browser on BOTH Mac and Windows can play the video and copy the BPAV.

On Mac you can only use XDCAM Transfer tool to VIEW the video IF YOU HAVE FCP 6.0.2 or higher installed. FCP provides the EX codec.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 2, 2008 at 4:46:38 pm

I highly recommend a program like ShotPut express. Not only does it manage the copying procedure automatically it also verifies the copy so you get no surprises after you've reused the SxS card but it generates a clip report you can even print out:

http://www.imagineproducts.com/ShotPut_EXpress.html

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Steve Kahn
on May 3, 2008 at 10:22:52 am

We've been shooting on location with the EX-1 for almost 3 months... problem free.
We carry a laptop with us. We transfer all of the cards to a usb drive. After the shoot, we copy the files to another fw drive for backup.
This has proved to be a trouble free workflow for us. Just wish we had more that 16 gb cards,
Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]