FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080p25 stuttering

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fearghal Duffy
1080p25 stuttering
on May 1, 2008 at 11:40:11 pm

I have just finished shooting a short film using the Sony XDCAM EX1. It was shot at 1080p25, 1920x1080,35mbps,VBR. I am in Pal land. When I play my clips in XDCAM transfer app, they stutter slightly. They seem to stay on one frame for a few frames then jump two or three frames. When I use the import button(in XDCAM transfer app) to export a QT of the clip, it plays fine as a QT. When I import into FCP, using either import SONY XDCAM command or import QT directly, it stutters. If I change playback video quality, in RT pop menu in FCP to medium it plays okay. I do not have any render bars. I have two questions a. if I edit at medium playback video quality, will this effect quality of my film when I go to final output, either ETT or PTV or output to DVD and b. should I be able to play clips at dynamic playback video quality and edit. I used my express card slot to capture footage from SxS cards direct to fw800 external drive. I am using an easy set up for XDCAM EX 1080p25 VBR.
many thanks Fearghal
MBP 2.4G 10.4.11 4g ram QT 7.3.1 FCP 6.0.2

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: 1080p25 stuttering
on May 2, 2008 at 12:39:10 pm

Sounds like you're describing issues with your CPU/Hard drive's ability to playback.

I'm using MacPro 8 Core and using internal drives and have no stuttering at all.

How you go to tape and why really depends on your "target." You haven't described your intent.

I archive on DL-DVD both source and edit master file. No tape at all. When I've done local cable spots I deliver MPEG2 Program Streams. Client delivery has been SD DVD or for web.

If you wanted to go to tape you may changed to the appropriate codec in software. "Tape" can be anything from DV (YUCK!) DigiBeta, DVCProHD, HDCAM. That's why when you say ETT or PTV it really depends what your going to AND WHY. Either you use the codec the tape requires, your "ideal" (maybe ProRes) and you get your system up to the specs needed to support playback (raid drives?, SDI or HD-SDI out?)

You're really asking a very vague question.
Stuttering . . . get better external drive? Go to a Non GOP Codec (of your choice or necessity)
Go to tape . . . get the system to handle the codec you need.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]